• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Ranger Owner '94 5-speed manual 2WD

HermanMango

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just a post to say hi. I got my ranger from a friend of a friend. Bought it from an auction non running and no key. 78k miles. I'm an aircraft mechanic but don't have as much experience in automotive other than my personal fleet so another mechanic buddy of mine helped me get my Ranger restored. Lots of cleaning old fuel and trips to the local pick a part later and I've got myself a running truck. I barely fit in the thing but still love it and now that I've got it running its time to start tinkering with it and get it up to snuff. All my google searches always lead me back to this site so I figured it's time to make an account. While this version is known as being gutless I though it still seemed a little weak. I'll start another thread for it but my first order of business will be getting a new rear axle installed. I don't know anything about my trucks previous life but it ended up with some 29 inch tires which were dry rotted so during the restoration I just replaced those with the same size (235/75 R15). Now that I've done some more research and learned that I've got the 7.5" type 84 axle (3.45 ratio) I think I've found my power problem. Other than that I'm loving my little ranger and have already had several (mis)adventures in it. I'm looking forward to more. If you wanna help me out with my Differential/Axle search I'll add a link to that thread once I get it going.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Welcome aboard. On the fit, yeah, I must be going crazy, now I have two and don’t fit in either one. My 87 4wd short cab short bed 5sp has seats from who knows what, a little bigger than OEM. I do ok since I used to have a fiat x1/9, but I literally have to open the window or door to lean over enough to get my frankenshoe on the parking brake. I’m hunting an OEM seat but putting in a new 2.9/6 first/now.

#2 is a 93 short short 2wd 5 speed with OEM seats, I can manage better.

there’s actually a #3, another 87 short short 2wd, less engine & tranny. I’m just stripping it and then sending it to Ranger heaven.

my fever started last spring when a buddy gave me the 4wd 87. Caught the fever bad. My fear is I’ll get them where I want them and then just go back to the f250 diesel. I like working on the scrap pile more than using them!

Good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals