• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Power Stroke® Draws Rave Reviews, Leads Diesel Revolution

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
The cornerstone engine in the new 2008 Ford F-Series Super Duty lineup is receiving very positive feedback from media members who have tested it. (c)2007 Ford Motor Co.

More...

BUGNUT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
When is Ford going to think about the little guy's. A diesel in a Ranger is a no brainer. A real diesel, not the wimpy diesels of the 1980"s. For my use a diesel with 125HP would be perfect. My tax bracket does not allow me to purchase a big a$$ pickup with a diesel. With gas in Canada pushing $5.00 a gallon and the US price not to far behind its time NOW for diesels.

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When is Ford going to think about the little guy's. A diesel in a Ranger is a no brainer. A real diesel, not the wimpy diesels of the 1980"s. For my use a diesel with 125HP would be perfect. My tax bracket does not allow me to purchase a big a$$ pickup with a diesel. With gas in Canada pushing $5.00 a gallon and the US price not to far behind its time NOW for diesels.

The thing is the Ranger is going out of production. Then there is something about smog credits or something like that. They can only produce so many deisel trucks a year. One other thing, my company had a ranger as a part go getter and they looked to replace it with another ranger. The dealership gave them a better price on a F150 than that on a ranger. I too need a larger truck to start my own business and hate to pay those high $ for gas. I am looking to get a used truck to start out with.

Jeepman401

Reaction score
We just finally had one come in today with a problem.
Looking much better than the 6.0

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The thing is the Ranger is going out of production. Then there is something about smog credits or something like that. They can only produce so many deisel trucks a year. One other thing, my company had a ranger as a part go getter and they looked to replace it with another ranger. The dealership gave them a better price on a F150 than that on a ranger. I too need a larger truck to start my own business and hate to pay those high $ for gas. I am looking to get a used truck to start out with.
You can get a base model Ranger for about $10K-11K. The cheapest F-150 I've seen has been $11,999 once. I see them for 12,999 about every three weeks here.

For a vehicle to run parts around in, assuming you "saved" $1K on an F-150, you would save more than that by the end of the year with the 10mpg or so savings in fuel economy with a Ranger.

I dealt with plenty of salespeople that kept trying to push the F-150 with the "more truck for your money" mentality that didn't understand the cost of ownership difference between 14-18mpg and 25-30mpg.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
But that $13k F-150 has about the same power and towing capacity as a 4.0 equiped Ranger, which will run alot more than $10-11k.

Last edited:

OldRedFord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Somebody fill me in on the Ranger going out of production. :no2:

pineypower1186

November STOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 C.I.D.
Transmission
Manual
ford needs to redesign the ranger to be a lil more spacious inside thats it. they should also throw a cummins four banger w/ a turbo in it and call it a day. i would sell my f-350 for a cummins ranger. ford just needs to get their head outta their a$$ thats all.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Somebody fill me in on the Ranger going out of production. :no2:
I went to a Ford dealership yesterday (trying to find info on how the ECU controls the EGR) and while I was walking through the lot looking at Rangers, one of the salesmen approached me.

He asked when I was going to trade in my Ranger for a new one, to which I replied: "Why would I trade in a perfectly good truck for a newer model that won't do anything other than cost me more money?"

He told me that they're having trouble keeping Rangers on the lot because they're selling like mad up here right now. The bottom line is, there are no other small trucks available anymore. Ford would be nuts to get rid of the Ranger . . .

Give us four doors and a DECENT turbodiesel!!! Then I'll think about trading in my truck . . .

W6e6s6W

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I don't think ford wold stop producing Rangers.
Alot of people I know and people I see on the roads
drive rangers.
New or Old, they are still I"d say a dominant part of
fords sales.
The Tacoma is probably their biggest rival.
I see alot of Tacomas out there too and I
considered getting one when I do the engine
swap in my ranger (302), but then I decided
i'd probably be better off with a newer ranger.

I just feel Ford dropping the Ranger would not
help them, especially since Ford is still recovering
from near bankruptcy.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well...

They are Closing down the plant at which the ranger is made, and the platform has been pretty much the same for the past 10 years. After the screw up with the Taurus name, The ranger will probably still be around, just not in it's current form.

As to the diesel...I'd love to get a small one, but I DON'T want electronic engine management. Which means unless I swap it I won't be getting a diesel in a ranger any time soon. In NY you currently can't register a new small diesel (Sorry VW people) unless it has over a certain number of miles due to emission regs. I would like to try either an Onan DJE swap or maybe a Perkins, Kubota, or Yanmar swap, preferably the onan...given that I am very familiar with the J series. But swapping an Industrial engine has it's problems.

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Back to the ranger going out of production, We had some engineers from Ford come into the shop this summer to look at some equipment that we are building for them. They said that the ranger has such a low profit margin and the F series has a higher profit margin. That is why they are looking to discontinue the ranger. We were told that 2008 was going to be the last year 2 years ago, now they think 2010 will be the last year. The American auto market is operating on a thin line. Plants are operating on a quarter by quarter basis.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals