• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New pistola

Carlos Murphy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Had breakfast this AM, walked down a couple of doors to one of my local gun stores here in G-ville just lookin ya know..... walked out with a new TAURUS PT-1911 .45 for $640.00 including 2 boxes of ball ammo and the damn BACKGROUND CHECK (despite the fact I've had a CCW for 9 freakin years)
How is a newer CCW better than a older CCW?:icon_confused:

Last edited:

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Do you have to pay for another CCW...? That could be the reason, it has nothing to do with upgrading your knowledge. IMO

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nice! I was thinking about getting one of those at one time. I ended up with a Metro Arms American Classic II instead.

That's one of the reasons I'm glad I work second shift on a federal installation. I can go in to look, but I really can't buy. Not allowed to carry into the installation, saves a bunch of money.

As for the CCW, I know that here in GA it's got to be renewed every 5 years and a lot of people don't realize it. Is yours out of date by chance?

Some places (people) just ignore CCW anyway. Here in GA is supposed to be the same as what you expected. I had a store manager (chain store, not LGS) refuse to finalize a sale on a Savage model 93 without the check even though I have a CCW, stating that it was new company policy. I would have walked out if it hadn't been a dang good price. FWIW even her employees were telling her that she was full of it. Few weeks later I got a shotgun at another chain store and CCW was accepted no questions asked, when told about experience at other store they too though it was a load of crap.

Carlos Murphy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nice! I was thinking about getting one of those at one time. I ended up with a Metro Arms American Classic II instead.

That's one of the reasons I'm glad I work second shift on a federal installation. I can go in to look, but I really can't buy. Not allowed to carry into the installation, saves a bunch of money.

As for the CCW, I know that here in GA it's got to be renewed every 5 years and a lot of people don't realize it. Is yours out of date by chance?

Some places (people) just ignore CCW anyway. Here in GA is supposed to be the same as what you expected. I had a store manager (chain store, not LGS) refuse to finalize a sale on a Savage model 93 without the check even though I have a CCW, stating that it was new company policy. I would have walked out if it hadn't been a dang good price. FWIW even her employees were telling her that she was full of it. Few weeks later I got a shotgun at another chain store and CCW was accepted no questions asked, when told about experience at other store they too though it was a load of crap.
My CCW is up to date, I'll be renewing it next year in February for the second time, its good for 5 years here too.

6gun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
??????
Tire Size
39X12.50R17
My credo
I'm not afraid of dying, not living terrifies me!
I Simply refuse to do business with stores who do not recognize the law. In GA the law states that "CCW takes place of background check" Pull out a background form and sale is over.

I have plenty of toys and can walk away from any deal at any time.

Walked out on a 629MG for $600 last year because of this.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Indiana wants you to have a gun. I paid like $50 for a lifetime concealed carry half my life ago and never had any crap buying a gun.

I like the 1911 just fine, and that's the pistol I first trained on in the marines. But when the M9 arrived, everyone's scores on the ranged jumped enormously. I know competition people like their custom 1911s, and I have known people on the Marine Corps shooting team with guns built by Marine Corps armorers, but those aren't the pistols our units had in racks locked up in our armories. The Beretta M9 was a world changer.

The 1911 is about 30% more powerful, or it was at the time. They mess with the cartridges all the time. But the 1911 had an awkward, skinny grip, and the barrel was high on the grip and it gave a jerk that made it uncomfortable to most people. It wasn't actual recoil, it was a lever-arm thing. With the barrel higher above the grip, the pistol jerks more in your hand. The Beretta had the barrel lower and had a much more full and natural grip. Instead of the recoil happening high above the line of your forearm, it went right through your forearm and the muzzle didn't throw itself into the air.

Also, carrying a weapon with the hammer back doesn't appeal. In fact, the best modern pistols have no hammer and have much better actions than either the M9 or the M1911A1. I like the 1911 because it was the first pistol I ever shot and has some nostalgia for me. But it is long obsolete and if I ever get one, it will be a replica as closely matched to what I used way back when. I carry a Beretta Nano now--with long magazines which makes it fit your hand. A much better gun. No safety, no hammer, it's almost as smooth as the 1911 in it's double-action only and as simple as a revolver. And I carried a K-frame 357 for 3 years on Embassy Duty. Before these striker, no hammer autos, I was a revolver guy. You used only double action in combat shooting--no thumb on the hammer. These new autos are brilliant. This Beretta Nano is no bull5hit the best handgun I've fired. Very concealable, fits the hand well, beautiful action, simple, Beretta sells a conceal holster for it and it is invisible even in gym shorts.

This isn't a gun for your collection--it's a gun meant to be right there when you need it and has 9mm NATO power.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So... I don't think anyone was talking about carrying a 1911 concealed, or asking what to carry concealed. It's the fact that in our states a CCW permit is supposed to bypass the need for a background check, but some businesses (or at least certain people working there) are ignoring the law.

I've got a rather limited experience with shooting pistols. I've only shot what me or my dad own, and a Beretta is not included in that. That said, of the pistols I have shot (22s excluded), the 1911 is probably the most comfortable and easiest to shoot for me. Love the fit of the grip, wouldn't want it any wider.

I might just like a heavier gun though. My favorite shooting revolver (excluding 22s again) is either my 6.5" barrel Taurus Tracker .44mag, or my dad's Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag 7.5" barrel. The Blackhawk had the advantage of non-ported barrel (snakeshot), but my Tracker was a double action and better grip. Never got to shoot the two side by side. Both were stolen at the same time, along with several other firearms, and my tracker is the only handgun that has shown up so far.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am hardly a pistol connoisseur but my brother's 1911 fits my hand like a glove, very comfortable to shoot. Really it is the only automatic centerfire pistol I have an interest in owning (aside from maybe a Luger to go with it)

Like Josh I like bigger wheelguns. My 7.5" barreled '58 Remington .44 is my favorite shooter. I love how it points and how it has just enough recoil to feel like you have something but is by no means is it rude about it.

Last edited:

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I didn't know that some states' CCWs will let you bypass the NICS check that is required by the BATFE on every firearms purchase at a FFL dealer.

Handy link for reference

I'd be mad too!

Indiana wants you to have a gun. I paid like $50 for a lifetime concealed carry half my life ago and never had any crap buying a gun.
You must be old! My lifetime LTCH was $125 3 years ago.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Honestly bypass is probably the wrong word, but it is supposed to speed up the process a lot.

To copy from GeorgiaCarry.org:
if you possess a valid Georgia Weapons License, your Georgia Weapons License will suffice as your background check. You will be required to show your state issued ID and your Georgia Weapons License in order to avoid the background check. Some firearms businesses may require a background check even if you have a GWL but it is not required by law. It is instead the business’ practices.
What us GA folks keep referring to as a CCW permit is actually the GWL. Clearing the background checks are part of the requirement to be issued a GWL. The GWL has to be renewed every 5 years, and the checks are done again at that time. My guess is that GA thinks since we already have to pass the background checks to get a license we shouldn't have to go through it again to buy a gun.

EDIT: missed your link, for some reason links look the same as all other text on the style setting I use for the forum. That is a good reference for future.

Last edited:

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
I run with a Glock 26 w/ one in the chamber at all times.

[rant]
Save your comments on the one in the chamber part. I do not care what you think. I have been around firearms my ENTIRE life plus military training. So I think I know what I am doing here.
[/rant]

Taurus makes a quality firearm. The warranty transfers with the weapon. Not many companies do that now a days. I have been looking for a Glock 37.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals