• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Paint

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual

rangercrawler

Reaction score
very nice! I'd like to see a side by side before and after shot of that sharp ranger :stirthepot:

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. I'm happy with it.

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
yes, it does look really nice. you say you did it with a roller?? care to explain a little more?
Body prep as normal with any paint job.

No primer needed. I did prime the bare metal areas and bondo used to fix dings.

Roll on four coats of paint, let dry between coats and wet sand with 600 grit.

Roll on two more and wet sand with 800 grit.

Roll on two more and wet sand with 2000 grit and polish.

I'm waiting 3-4 weeks for the polish.

I used Rustoleum and thinned in a 1:1 ratio with pure mineral spirits. Thin like milk. The paint self levels nicely and drys rock hard.

I had such good coverage I stopped at six coats and did not wet sand with the 2000 grit as I had nice gloss but it does need buffing to bring out the high gloss. In total it took 8 days including the topper on the back. I did not wet sand the topper at all and only applied four coats as the aluminum is very textured. Sanding and polishing would be a waste of time on that. It will get wax in a couple of weeks. I also did not paint inside the bed of the truck as I want to apply the Duplicolor bed liner later. No sense wasting time and paint on that.

There are many sites on the web. This process is about 10 years old and started as the $50 paint job on the MOPARTS forum site I think. I thought I'd give it a shot. I did spend $170 on supplies. Two quarts of white, two quarts of gray and 1 gallon of mineral spirits. The big bucks were spent on four rolls of 1" blue painters tape, six foam rollers, four foam brushes, three paint pans, two gallon cans to mix paint in and the big ticket item is the sandpaper, that stuff is pricey. Wet sanding only used 4 4"X6" sheets for the whole truck. I have one quart of each color left mixed for repairs in case some bozo dings the paint in a parking lot.

I'm told this paint when thinned and dry hard and will not fade. We'll find out. I did remove all the trim, emblems and lights, seals etc before painting.

I applied 1/8" tape pinstripes at the color transitions. I did paint the door handles and tailgate handle shiny black. I did not paint the door jams completely as I left the interior untouched.

It was a long eight days but luckily there wasn't a single day over 80 degrees last week. We'll be at 109 this weekend so I chose the right week.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
save yourself some time, money, and frustration... don't do the Duplicolor! get the Herculiner, Road Warrior (Rustoleum), or similar quality bed liner and it will work out much better for you. have done all three and the Duplicolor i had to remove with acetone and got my money back. they also paid for the acetone! pure crap, imho.
thanks for the info re: rolling on paint. i did that once myself, about 25 years ago. had an old scout that was rusting badly. got a gallon of house exterior enamel, couple of rollers, etc., and let the paint fly! got me an extra 9 months before the rust started coming back, but by then, i had enough to sell it for parts and get something much better.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wow nice job!! I did this back in 1990 on an S-10 I owned. I painted it with the roller and a light gray color oil based enamel for metal. Had very simular results. I didn't do the sanding between coats though. Had quite a few people comment on the new paint too. All said it looked as if it had been sprayed and couldn't believe it had been rolled on in the back yard. Looks great man!! Just imagine it after it cures good and you buff it!!

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Rolled on paint update

Well, after all this time I finally wet sanded with 1,000 and then 2,000 grit and polished. I also rolled on the Hurculiner on the bed and top rails. I'm hard on the rails so bedliner on them is the ticket for me.

It's ready for the Toys for Tots car show this weekend. Total project was 18 months but considering the 17 month delay in finishing it was really about 10 days.:icon_rofl:

Bedliner:

Factory orange peel duplicated exactly:

I'm calling the project finished....for now.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Very nice job!

Was the Rust-Oleum you used from their "Professional" line of enamels, that comes in quart and gallon cans?

Also, any problems with DUST, or does it dry fast enough to not worry?

I'm gonna try this... first practicing on my tonneau cover.

3hokies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
man that is wicked slick....getting ready to have the local vo-tech school do mine....but now I might have to reconsider

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Very nice job!

Was the Rust-Oleum you used from their "Professional" line of enamels, that comes in quart and gallon cans?

Also, any problems with DUST, or does it dry fast enough to not worry?

I'm gonna try this... first practicing on my tonneau cover.
I tried to pick not windy days which is hard where I live. But, since there's is lots of sanding to do a little dust will sand right off.

Definately only use the professional line. Also with any enamal paint waxing is required more often than on two stage paint jobs. It saves NO time doing it this way. It only saves money.

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
man that is wicked slick....getting ready to have the local vo-tech school do mine....but now I might have to reconsider
Oh! let the vo-tech guys do it. This rolled on job is very labor intensive. It only saves money.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals