• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New owner of a Red 2006 Ford Ranger

bmjohnson35

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Transmission
Manual
I just acquired a 2006 2WD Ranger with 2.3L and 5 spd manual. It was given to me by a family member. So far, I expect to be $1500 in my pocket on this "free" truck. The truck needs a little love. The engine was supposedly rebuilt around 3-4 yrs ago. Truck has sat for the last 2-3 yrs. The previous owner(s) did some hack work on it, so some of the work will be correcting that stuff. So far, I have replaced the air filter, cleaned the MAF and the IAC and replaced the upstream O2 sensor. The previous owner had 16" wheels with 265/75R16 tires on it. I just installed some 235/65-16 tires. It's now nearly back to the OD of the stock tires and speedometer is now accurate. I will be installing new cat, muffler, downstream O2 sensor and tailgate handle. The interior is rather filthy. I intend to replace the carpeting with vinyl flooring and covering the seats and center console with Neoprene covers. I have also ordered try-fold bed cover and window top vents. The headlights are not working. Checked associated fuses. The headlight housings need replaced. I have ordered bulbs and hope there isn't bigger underlying issues with the associated wiring. I plan to use the truck for hauling around kayaks and general utility for around the home.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
First of all... welcome to TRS...

I've seen several issues with the headlamp switch and connector... they tend to get hot and melt. I would have a good look at the switch before you get to deep into headlamp diagnosis.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I second the motion on checking the headlight switch and connector.

tenor-8.gif

bmjohnson35

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. I have zero experience with the Ranger and the bulk of my limited experience on vehicles is based on tinkering with my Miata. I will do a visual inspection while I am waiting for parts to arrive in the mail.

I may not even need the cat, but the truck broke down on our drive from northern AL to Central Florida. It started off acting like it was starving for fuel then it started revving up to around 3500 rpm constantly. A shop in Perry changed the fuel filter, checked the fuel pressure and then changed the upstream O2 sensor. It was driving much better after these changes. The tech said that the temp differential across the cat looked bad. He said that it's probably clogged and probably killed the upper O2 sensor. It ran the rest of the way home and then started acting up again on a local drive a few days later............back to revving up to around to a constant 3500 rpm, without any gas pedal. I pulled the latest codes (P01141 & P0171). I changed the air filter and cleaned the MAF due to these codes. The air filter was a mess, the worst I have ever seen. The MAF sensor also looked dirty. Sprayed it out with some MAF cleaner. I cleared the codes again and have been driving around to see if it fails again.

Considering what I have seen so far on this truck, I think my folks bought this from a shady car lot. Hopefully I won't discover any major issues. Luckily this won't be a daily driver.

If the fault continues after the cat and downstream O2 sensor is replaced, I will ask for further input in the 2.3l engine section of forum.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals