• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New, Old Guy

Winter Hawk

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Retired over 10 years, somewhat of a car/truck nut. I found this site while I was looking for replacement cross members for my 1989 XLT. Mine are not cone yet, but approaching that point rapidly. There don't seem to be any of these parts available for this particular vehicle. I need the ones behind the cab, so from the gas tank back. Other than fabricating my own, something I haven't done yet, are there any suggestions for what I can do?
Thanks,
~WH~

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Being from Ohio... your junk yard choices probably aren't much better than what you already have. I'm not aware of any place to buy these new.

Welcome to TRS...

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Didn't the same question come up a couple weeks ago? Might have been in Canada tho. And they found a local willing to make them. Wonder if they'd ship?

Winter Hawk

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thank you for the replies. The local welding shop welded a couple of pieces of steel to the gas tank cross member and the one behind it, although I'm not too happy with the result. It'll do for a while, though, and the truck only has to last me another 20 years, if that long. :eek:

~WH~

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
For what labor costs now, if you have the space to work on stuff and like tinkering I would just get a welder (the harbor freight green flux core 125 amp thing would be more than enough) and grab some steel and practice and make things happen... for the behind the cab crossmembers pulling the bed is the easy way, an engine hoist and a 2x4 under the bed rails makes easy work of lifting the bed out of the way with one person...

Winter Hawk

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Bed came off first thing, otherwise the welding shop would have charged me a whole bunch more. Plugged my magnetic stick -on lights into the trailer light socket and drove it to the shop. I'll have to think about the engine hoist; I man-handled the bed off by myself and it hasn't gotten any easier over the years!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals