• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"New" normal highway speed

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
I'm probably totally incorrect on this... But some time not too long ago (within 3yrs) my state as well as others I'm sure made it so the police could not go after a suspect if the chase would turn into a high speed chase, for fear of hurting the innocent public.

They just need to start making the punishment more fitting I guess. This country is going soft.

TDI Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My 04' ranger would only do 92 mph according to the speedometer before it hit the rev limiter. I haven't ever had my 03' ranger I currently have past 80.

The way fuel is trending I'll probably start driving my car a lot more often. It's a 81' VW Rabbit turbo diesel. I can peg the 85 mph speedometer out but it really doesn't like going more than 70 mph.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I dont care if people pass me on the freeway, gas is too expensive. But i hate the low speed limits in most of my city and the people that drive slower than the limit. Then there are those that veer right in order to turn left. I know its not left over habit from drivng with a trailer. Most of them dont look like they've had their class 5 for more than a year or 2.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
77 ltd don't like 100 for very long. I run a cadi across Wyoming and Montana alot at 100 or so ... Those old three speeds get warm in hills

The tires are the issue....

That 250 handles better then a LTD at 100 and for damn sure stops better....even 4k more weight .... Sure as hell don't ride as nice as the Ltd though

And if you do blow a tire and wreck ....better off in a Honda civic or a Volvo wagon then the an Ltd.

Cruising out there makes me miss my mark 7
I disagree on the accident part....and no i never ran it 100 very far. But it seemed pretty comfy at that speed.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've had my 98 3.0 to 100 a few times. Oddly, only after fitting it with 4.10 gears .Wouldn't do it with the 3.73s. It's a lot more lively since doing that.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I disagree on the accident part....and no i never ran it 100 very far. But it seemed pretty comfy at that speed.
That's fine

Physics is a mothfoxkle.....and I have shitty luck

And I know people that would absolutely be dead if they were wearing a seatbelt.

But as far as safety .. a modern bagged Honda or Volvo is way safer then a 70s anything ..

Whether I like it or agree with it or not

Gets tested daily

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I don't have any pressing need to go much faster than 75-80 mph on the interstate... And @bobbywalter I feel your pain on the 55mph interstates in Illinois. And you are spot on when you say the tires are the key. I replaced my near bald Kelly Springfield 'lets see how cheap of a tire we can put on a car" that were on my Buick (they were brand new when I bought the car, so I just went with them. I put a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paws (which were also in the "lets see how cheap of a tire we can put on" category but I went a few bucks extra to get better traction and treadwear on them. the grip was way better than the Kelly's ever were, even when new

AJ

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I've had my 98 3.0 to 100 a few times. Oddly, only after fitting it with 4.10 gears .Wouldn't do it with the 3.73s. It's a lot more lively since doing that.
I had over 300 hp...so not stock ..still didn't think it could do it .... If it was 2wd and low . .yeah

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I disagree on the accident part.
Older cars can definitely take a hit better and survive, with less focus on the occupants surviving... newer cars are designed to crumple and sacrifice the car so the occupants have a better chance of surviving.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I attribute it to the rona situation making it so in person contact is frowned upon (IE pulling cars over for most "minor" things), that and people are getting more and more dumb... those that stopped driving for the rona should have stayed off the road... now that they're driving again they're all apparently night blind and scared... I see and get behind more people driving 46mph in a 55mph zone that still brake for oncoming cars and put their brights on as soon as an oncoming car is past them, at dusk... then they apparently get offended when I want to pass them? When there's a passing lane they suddenly will go 65 until the passing zone is done (they're short around here...) then back down in the 40's...

I drive a gutless 4 banger Ranger, speeding and horsepower aren't a "feature" that I have... sure it's got 4.10's and when needed I drive it to it's capabilities, but it doesn't keep up with everything...

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Older cars can definitely take a hit better and survive, with less focus on the occupants surviving... newer cars are designed to crumple and sacrifice the car so the occupants have a better chance of surviving.

I think it depends on what you hit. If you hit something solid....like a tree...then yes youre better off in something that crumples.

However, if you are in something stiff, and get ran into by something crumpley, then the softer vehicle absorbs your impact as well as theirs, so the stiffer vehicle has a better chance of coming out better as well as you do.

Like a 2x4 smashing into a tin can.

An older, thicker vehicle also brushes off the more common things to, like deers, shopping carts, and the usual 5mph parking lot collisions.

@bobbywalter see above.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I think it depends on what you hit. If you hit something solid....like a tree...then yes youre better off in something that crumples.

However, if you are in something stiff, and get ran into by something crumpley, then the softer vehicle absorbs your impact as well as theirs, so the stiffer vehicle has a better chance of coming out better as well as you do.

Like a 2x4 smashing into a tin can.

An older, thicker vehicle also brushes off the more common things to, like deers, shopping carts, and the usual 5mph parking lot collisions.

@bobbywalter see above.

Depends?

Well no shit. See knowing people whom are alive due to ejection above. Seat belts and air bags kill people every year as well.

I wouldn't even drive my new shop truck untill it had an hdx on it. I fawking trailered it....praying a deer wouldn't rape it on the trailer.

In a crash.....not a 5 mph bumper hit....odds are your better off in a current 5 star car.....then a 70s 5 car star car...which will not make 1 star now.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Depends?

Well no shit. See knowing people whom are alive due to ejection above. Seat belts and air bags kill people every year as well.

I wouldn't even drive my new shop truck untill it had an hdx on it. I fawking trailered it....praying a deer wouldn't rape it on the trailer.

In a crash.....not a 5 mph bumper hit....odds are your better off in a current 5 star car.....then a 70s 5 car star car...which will not make 1 star now.
What really are the odds of a crash going down like they test anyways? A perfect 30% or whatever offset at 40 or 45mph. In the real world that represents a pretty small number of accidents.

Secondly, ive always heard (maybe its not true, but lets assume it is) that a vehicle on vehicle collision at 45mph would be roughly equal to the force of a single vehicle hitting a solid object at 90mph.

So what do they use? 45mph right? Thats equal (roughly) to a vehicle on vehicle crash at 22.5mph. Thats ridiculious. Run them into that barrier at 90 to really simulate a 45mph head on.

Plus....usually after a collision the vehicle goes flying and hits god knows what else, once the crumple zones are destroyed and the airbags blown theres not much left to protect you when you go into a building, tree, or whatever else. Atleast with a real chassis (IE, frame) its going to hang on till the bitter end.

In the real world size matters.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
It’s all about the odds...
You’ve got better odds of survival in a newer car with a solid passenger compartment with airbags while wearing a seatbelt. You can claim the big old cars are stiffer, stronger, and safer... but they arent any of those 3 things. New cars are literally designed to protect the occupants... that’s half of why they all have high beltlines, smaller windows, and look the same.

Secondly, ive always heard (maybe its not true, but lets assume it is) that a vehicle on vehicle collision at 45mph would be roughly equal to the force of a single vehicle hitting a solid object at 90mph.
That’s not true. A vehicle will only arrest it own momentum until it is pushed away.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals