• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New motor or fix what I've got

Tsestak45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 98 Ranger that over the last year has started leaking oil to the point where I'm putting 5 liters in a week. I had saw on another forum called ExplorerForum about a company that sells rebuilt engines in NJ for like $2600. Does anyone think it's worth trying to fix the oil leak or do I just get a new motor? If so does anyone have any recommendations for motord about the same price and somewhere near Philadelphia?

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It depends on how many miles and what motor. And what is leaking.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
We can tell from your post you haven't investigated much, or you done a little investigation and can't find the leak? What engine does it have? I am not too familiar with the little bit later engines but some of the guys on here may know common leak areas on certain engines. I do know oil leaks are hard to find sometimes, and a couple cans of brake cleaner and some rags do wonders for cleaning it all up and then running it in the driveway and looking for the source of the leak.

I am assuming you think all the oil is leaking externally? If that is the case, I don't see why you need a new engine.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 98 Ranger that over the last year has started leaking oil to the point where I'm putting 5 liters in a week. I had saw on another forum called ExplorerForum about a company that sells rebuilt engines in NJ for like $2600. Does anyone think it's worth trying to fix the oil leak or do I just get a new motor? If so does anyone have any recommendations for motord about the same price and somewhere near Philadelphia?
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes, what engine is in your 1998 Ranger, there were 3 options in 1998, 2.5l 4cyl, 3.0l or 4.0l V6

In general your description describes a rear main seal leak, it pumps out oil pretty fast when engine is running, and it comes out of the back of the engine where bell housing is bolted to the engine

Part to fix it is under $20, but transmission does need to be pulled out/back to get access to replace it, so a bit of labor involved

If this is the issue then no, do not get a new engine, as you would have to pull the transmission to install the new engine anyway

As for expense of a rebuilt/new engine, that would depend on the condition of the 1998 Ranger
If you think it will last 5 more years with no other major repairs then $2,600 / 60 months = $43 a month to drive it for 5 more years

Major repair cost doesn't have anything to do with the value of a vehicle, I read that alot, "its only worth $2,000, why spend $2,500 to fix it"
Well if its broken then its probably not even worth the $2,000, lol, but thats not the point either
Its a judgement call in how long you think you can continue to drive the vehicle after the repair without other major costs
In this case $43/month wouldn't get much as a car payment for another vehicle, lol

But if you think it is the rear main seal and you can do the work of dropping transmission then it would cost $20 to fix

Last edited:

Alan_nc

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Following up on what RonD said:
I'm guessing it's an automatic - rear main seal would make it so your clutch would slip.
What else does the truck need repaired:
Need Brakes
Need Shocks
Need Tires
Any noises from the trans or rear end?
How does it run in general?
Maybe take it in to a local small garage that you or a friend trust and get an estimate from them (probably for free),

List the specific engine and trans you have. Also maybe a guess at where the oil is coming from.

-Nate

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My credo
Nothing is so difficult it cannot be overcome by brute force and ignorance =8-)
As long as it's not rusted out and and doesn't smoke you'll usually be way ahead fixing the oil leak ~ as mentioned you need to first clean it above and below and look closely to see where the leak is.....

The 4 cylinder engines easily last 400,000 miles with minimal care so unless you've driven it with the oil gauge not reading it's prolly worth fixing .

There are plenty of good used low milage (under 200,000 miles) engines out there from wrecked or rusted out Rangers.... a good used engine that's been tested for proper compression (they'll be able to tell you what compression per cylinder or they're lying to you about the test) should be under $350 including tax and the core value of your old engine .

No matter what you're going to need to install a new water pump, cam belt , spark plugs and so on .

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I agree the first step is to find out where the leak is before you decided how to go. If it's a good running engine that doesn't burn oil or make noises fixing the leak is apt to be the cheapest way out. 4.0 ohv engines had a ton of intake manifold and valve cover gasket leaks that would be relatively cheap to fix.
We used to add dye to the oil, run the engine for a several minutes and them look it over with special glasses and a black light, it saved time and effort cleaning the engine.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
look it over with special glasses and a black light
I can see you now....

YEEEAAHHHH BOMP BOMP BOMP BOMP BU DUM BA DUM...

-Nate

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My credo
Nothing is so difficult it cannot be overcome by brute force and ignorance =8-)
YAY ! .

I finally got my first reply notification .

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just had all the leaks fixed in my 2002 4WD Ranger 3.0L with 114,000 miles on the engine. The valve covers leaked and the oil pan gasket leaked. Sadly the transmission had to be pulled to remove the oil pan on this truck. While at it, the mechanic found a leaky water pump and bad timing case cover - all of which I expected. I had not expected a bad harmonic balancer and burned ignition wires. I had them replace the serpentine belt, rear main seal, and a bad fuel injector as well. Cost me $3,600.

Good or bad, replacing the engine was even more. Buying a new Ranger is way more!

So - there may be more than just oil leaks when you get into it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals