• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello everyone, just bought a 2011 Ranger XLT Supercab 4-door 2WD with the 4.0 V-6 and automatic. It has the factory tow package, which will be handy as I have a small cargo trailer for hauling trash and brush. This truck was clean and had just over 100,000 miles. It was used as a trade-in at a new-car dealer, and that dealer replaced the lower ball joints and the front and rear brakes, and also did an oil and filter change and state inspection.

I have replaced two tire pressure sensors, the upper ball joints, plugs and plug wires, and both front tires. The day after it was delivered to my house, I had the transmission flushed and ATF and filter changed.

This truck is possibly going to be the last vehicle I buy. I'm in my late 50s. It's actually my second Ranger, as in 2008–2009 I had a 1990 Ranger regular cab with the 2.3 four and automatic. Had to sell it to pay bills at the time, but I liked the truck a lot and decided then one day I'd get another Ranger.

This 2011 had been undercoated and the bed given a Line-X treatment. It's at the local Line-X shop for examination and any needed touch-up. After I get it back, I'm going to change the front wheel bearings myself and install an aftermarket (Simmons) aluminum thermostat housing to prevent the well-known plastic lower housing failure. The oil and differential fluid will also be changed to Amsoil.

I'm debating buying and installing a K&N air intake kit; your comments?

Hope this is enough info. Let me know if you need more. Looking forward to discussing Rangers with you!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Congrats on the new to you truck...

Take good care of it and they are typically good to you in return.

I personally feel the factory air intake is fine and have no desire to change to anything aftermarket.

Welcome to TRS...

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome! Glad you got another ranger!!! You could always get knn filter to fit your factory airbox if you like the ability to service it, the world would be a better place with less disposable things!

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds like a nice truck!
At 100kMiles, might want to think about changing those two OilPressurized TimingTensioners;
while swapping the junk Plastic ThermoStat Housing for a new Aluminum version, might be the time to do that.
Change the RearDiff GearOil & SteeringFluid & BrakeFluid too.
Oil+Filter changes will do wonders for the V6~4.0L~SOHC; do mine every 6mths regardless of mileage.
Also frequently service Tranny ATF+Filter, another weak link for Rangers.
With PMs & some luck, possible to get another 200kMiles+ down the road.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals