• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

NEW member, old guy. Hello. This is my 1st post. XR4Ti eng. help.

waterran

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'92
Make / Model
R10
Transmission
Automatic
'92 Ranger. Have XR4Ti engine, want to keep using my factory A/C. Has anyone been able to keep the A/C compressor remaining on the top left side of the engine as installed from FORD on the n/a Ranger? I ask because I will likely have to buy a (forward turbo flange mount) aftermarket steel tubing exh. man. to clear the A/C plenum on the firewall. The '92 Ranger serpentine drive accessory setup will bolt directly to the turbo engine. I'm hoping someone has attempted to do this. Turbo intake/exhaust mounting clearance are my main concerns. If not, I will post my results. Thanks, waterran.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Not exactly my area, but the turbo coupes used the turbocharged lima engine and had factory AC. I'd be inclined to think the mounting brackets from the 83-88 coupes could work since the merkur engine is the same thing.

waterran

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'92
Make / Model
R10
Transmission
Automatic
Not exactly my area, but the turbo coupes used the turbocharged lima engine and had factory AC. I'd be inclined to think the mounting brackets from the 83-88 coupes could work since the merkur engine is the same thing.
There is an XR4Ti OE lower right hand mount A/C comp. avail in the aftermarket from RockAuto & others. I will use that & 'jury rig' or 'last Chance Garage' or 'Gubernickel Funknagel' the rest. Maybe some Yankee Ingenuity & Good Ole' Boy head scratchin' will accomodate my libation. Then...I can set a low E.T. on the way to WalMart!

waterran

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'92
Make / Model
R10
Transmission
Automatic
...more cannon Fodder...My newest idea for my '92 ranger w/ XR4 power is...95 or later PCM. These darlings contained the ICM (ign control module) inside the computer. Then...use coil on plug (COP) ignition from another FORD engine. This would eliminate the TFI module, distributor, plug wires. I haven't studied the '95 PCM pinouts to compare with the '85 Merkur XR4Ti PCM pinouts. Basically, I'm trying to emulate a high buck "STINGER" ignition by using Ford O.E. designs already in use. Any ideas? Thanks everybody.

waterran

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'92
Make / Model
R10
Transmission
Automatic
My '92 SOHC has a serpentine front engine accessory drive and A/C. I plan on using that setup. The location of the A/C Comp. (top left) & Alt. bottom rt.) are opposite XR4Ti. Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals