• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New member & New Ranger owner

Olddudedon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all just joined this and want go say hello. I spent the last 11 years with a 2009 Tacoma great truck (155 k) no problems. The Ranger was a gift, the kid thought the Toyota would leave the wife and me stranded somewhere so the new truck. I love it, my only gripe is that the rear needs to be lowered I need help here how can that be done?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I think this is something most new trucks have in common... they just sit really high. Not sure there is much information on lowering the new Rangers available.

Welcome to TRS...

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Welcome to TRS!! Uncle Gump is correct that any major modifications have yet to be posted here for Lowering or even lifting them since they are so new. I suspect once the manufactures warranty's are up modifications will be more abundant since then you wont void you get it fixed for free safety net and aftermarket manufactures have had enough time to design and test kits to sell.

As with any leaf springs, single leaf in this case, a lowering shackle will net you an inch or two if that is enough for you. It may even level out the truck instead of using spring spacer / leveling kits to raise the front.

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
Someone on here did lower a '19/'20 Ranger. Maybe @Will .

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Be careful lowering it, if you change the pinion angle you can create driveline vibrations. Every new truck sits too high for my taste.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There was someone who made a custom lowering kit for their new ranger, @win .

Made my own "kit".

Hand cut new grooves on a set of FX4 front shocks to lower the spring seat 1.25"

Had the rear springs re-arched by 3"at a local spring shop. Used 3 1/8" spring perches, new 2 1/2" u-bolts and a set of Jeep spring plates to flip the axle. With the new spring plates on top of original spring perches, used the u-bolts to dial in <.5 degrees of pinion angle and locked the axle into place.

Added a pair of early 2000's Nisan Frontier Rancho RS9000 shocks with Amazon sourced 14mm x 16mm aluminum tube cut to 40mm for the bushing mounts.

Final result was a bit low in back, used a set of Amazon sourced 1" lift spring shackles for the final rear height

Replaced the OEM foam bump stops with 600 lbs/in Timbren rubber springs spaced about 1" above the upper spring plate.

Set the Rancho's to max stiffness setting and am VERY pleased with ride and stance. OEM spring rates, the FX4 front shocks soften the front harshness and the Rancho's keep the back end under control.

OEM FX4 rear springs have a lot more arch than 2/4 WD springs and might be an option for the needed 2.5" - 3" "lift"needed for the axle flip.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi all just joined this and want go say hello. I spent the last 11 years with a 2009 Tacoma great truck (155 k) no problems. The Ranger was a gift, the kid thought the Toyota would leave the wife and me stranded somewhere so the new truck. I love it, my only gripe is that the rear needs to be lowered I need help here how can that be done?
They tend to have to a rear rake because they are smaller vehicles now trying to pack a load. The rear springs are progressive as heck and will ride pretty good no load (Not Buckboard) and not squawt and drag bumper super loaded. It's a middle ground place that you have to figure out yourself. Ford balanced them pretty well but if it is just looks you can crank the front up a touch (Not me). Also note the body itself is designed to look forward raked so it looks like it's going 60 mph standing still but if you put a level on the frame you would be level. My recommendation would be to load up all your Kids, Grand kids, BBq grills, coolers, guitars, drums, boat and head to the lake for the weekend and give us a report about using your Ranger as a truck and not a golf cart hell yeah brother.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals