• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Member, Low Dollar Truck

Dan German

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Custom
Transmission
Manual
Hello all, I just picked up a beater Ranger for camping/kayaking. Don’t expect any cool build threads, ‘cuz this truck ain’t goin’ down that road. ’92 2WD 3.0 L (I wanted a 4 cylinder, but you can’t be picky AND cheap). It has my favourite stock rims, although they’re a) not too pretty and 2) 14” instead of 15”. Luckily, I work for a car dealer, and got a screaming deal on General Grabber A/TX 27x8.50s! I can already see that this site will be quite useful when the inevitable problems crop up, so thanks in advance! Here’s a couple of “before“ pics:

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Looks like it's all there... take good care of it and it will be good to you.

Welcome to TRS...

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Love gen2 rangers!! my fave stock rims as well..I have 15s on rear and 14s up front!! Dont have to be a crazy build but if you purpose build(kayaking camping fishing,etc) still be nice to see what you do!! Welcome

Dan German

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Custom
Transmission
Manual
Love gen2 rangers!! my fave stock rims as well..I have 15s on rear and 14s up front!! Dont have to be a crazy build but if you purpose build(kayaking camping fishing,etc) still be nice to see what you do!! Welcome
Isn’t everything up to ‘92 1st Gen? Or does the facelift count? Either way, it’s my favourite look for the Ranger. For the record, I used to own my Ranger’s granddaddy:

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The face-lift counts. Gen 3 starts at 93 when things got all curvy and rounded.

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Isn’t everything up to ‘92 1st Gen? Or does the facelift count? Either way, it’s my favourite look for the Ranger. For the record, I used to own my Ranger’s granddaddy:
Yes facelift couts... I have a 2.3t swapped courier!!! I love minitrucks period!

Attachments

Dan German

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Custom
Transmission
Manual
First update: new air filter, lubed the squeaky creaky clutch pedal, crossbars mounted, and (drum roll please)…

NEW TIRES!

Yeah, I know a lot of you guys are doing 3 and 4 inch lifts and the like, but this ain’t no 4x4, this ain’t no pre-runner. The Grabber A/Tx tires are 1” bigger diameter than stock 215/70 R14. That’s a whopping 1/2” lift! Maybe it’s just me, but this seems like the “correct” size for this truck in stock form. That little bit of extra sidewall corrects the “roller skate” look of the stock tires. And to think some came with 195s.

The truck drives much better than on the petrified old T/A Radials (although I did save the best one to replace the even older and worse spare). It was raining today, so I learned how much better they are in the wet, too. Enough extra grip that axle hop is more noticeable. I don’t care what you drive, quality tires make all the difference.

(Side note: I work at a car dealership. When I went to work to pick up my tires, they were stacked with all the modern tires, mostly for SUVs. Nothing in there smaller than 19”, and mostly 21-22”. Our parts guy referred to mine as “your adorable little tires.” A**h*le.)

1C7A3F41-86F7-4ED7-BF93-63AEAF264A3E.jpeg

Last edited:

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
Welcome to the club.

Dan German

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Custom
Transmission
Manual
Side note to my side note:

When I ordered the tires from the distributor, he replied that I had “some kind of weird size going on there.”

Dude, you’re the one with 62 of them in your Canadian warehouse… :D

Edit: 58 of them. FTW.

Dan German

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Custom
Transmission
Manual
Crucial repair job #1: no blower fan action. Considering the rainy climate I live in, having actual air move across the actual windshield is probably a good thing. It doesn’t work on any speed, so probably a power or ground problem.

Fuse: Yup, it’s good.
Power to the fan: Yup, it’s good.
Fan ground: Yup, it’s good.

I have not seen very many blower motors quit working in my life. I’ve had them squeal, or grind, or start shaking the fan wheel, but “just not working” has always been an external problem. Pulled it out, jumpered it to the battery… nothing. Hmmm… wait a minute, it just started working! And stopped. And started! I tapped on the housing while it was not working, and it started working. After a bit, it worked all the time. Put it back in, and… it works! But only on high, and it quit working at all in a few minutes. So the answer is, BOTH the blower motor and the resistor block were bad! Good thing those are cheap. $75 CDN later, I have all the speeds!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals