• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New member from TN

Jnagy92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey everybody,

My name is Jonathan, and I'm new here. My ride is a 1992 ford ranger 2.3L 5 speed, regular cab. I'm familiar with the ranger line, I used to have a 98 model a couple years back that was a slight pos, lol. I just have some basic questions.

Mileage:
What should I expect out of it? Is it really as bad as everybody says? Because my mileage doesn't seem to be as bad as everybody else's.

Fuel tank:
What size tank do I have? I don't have a manual for the truck, and everything online seems to not give me a fairly straight answer. Regular cab, base model XLT 5 speed.
Also my gas gage isn't accurate at all, I saw one post say something about putting some type of fuel cleaner in it to maybe take off some corrosion on the float or the slosh module? But I can't seem to find the post anymore.

Exhaust:
The redneck before me thought it would be cool to take off the cat and bolt the flanges together and then cut it off to stick a maybe 2 1/8 or 2 1/4 inch in and out, maybe 18-20" long, glass pack and have it open right behind the cab. Since then I've put two pieces of flex pipe on as a temporary fix so I don't get pulled over for noise. What size pipe should it be running to have the correct amount of back pressure? As of right now it sounds like a Honda civic, and personally it doesn't sound too bad, but its a little loud, I want sound, performance and it to not sound like a tractor at low rpms.

Intake:
I always get some sort of aftermarket intake on all of my vehicles, they sound good and it helps it breath. Question is, should I do a true cold air or leave it a short ram? People tell me 4 bangers do better with cold air instead of ram air, from experience, I wouldn't know.

The good Ole plug swap mod:
Look I did it, and I didn't notice much of anything different, other than my truck idles better.

Zip tie throttle cable mod:
This does work really good, but I believe I still have quite a bit of extra slack in it, but I can't seem to pull the cable out any farther to throw another cable on. The little nut and spring thing that is on there, can I tighten that some and then try?

Also, does anybody know if 2.5L intakes will bolt to the 2.3L and if it does, does it improve air flow? Or is it the same.

Thanks guys.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hi and welcome to TRS~!

Too many questions for me to answer effectively so I will choose a couple and hope others take on the tough ones...:)

fuel mileage should be between 18 and 24 mpg but I've seen as high as 31 (claimed by a few) and if it gets below 20 you have issues...either mechanical, electrical, or physical (too much weight in the bed...too big tires...or dirty air filter).

Fuel tank size I'm not sure 100% but there was only two or three options (including dual tanks)...standard cab I believe was 16 gallons...the larger 19.5 was typically on extended cabs...

The 2.5 intake will bolt up onto the 2.3 because my 1996 had a 2.5 transplant but used the 2.3 intake and exhaust...

No real improvements usually that are noticeable...unless you swap in the 2.5 itself and bolt eveything from the 2.3 onto it...there was a bit of a HP increase with the 2.5 because it was essentially a stroked 2.3 engine (longer piston travel)...

hope that helps~

TechKnowViking

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Tennessee?

Where at in TN? I am from Greeneville.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
>>>>>>

WELCOME from SE TN!

My experience with stock Ranger's, 2.3L & 3.0L has been 14mpg at best via 5spd or auto.

I finished my 98 last July with 5.0L auto, 4x4 and don't see any difference in how quick a tank goes between it & the old 3.0L, but DEFINITELY a BIG POWER difference!:icon_twisted::yahoo:

TechKnowViking

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
WELCOME from SE TN!

My experience with stock Ranger's, 2.3L & 3.0L has been 14mpg at best via 5spd or auto.

I finished my 98 last July with 5.0L auto, 4x4 and don't see any difference in how quick a tank goes between it & the old 3.0L, but DEFINITELY a BIG POWER difference!:icon_twisted::yahoo:
Hey! I live up near Greeneville. I like getting out and driving around and have passed Niota plenty of enough times to know where it's at. I would love to drive down sometime and check out your Ranger 5.0. I have been curious as to how they perform. YouTube only tells you so much. It would be cool if we could find enough people in East TN to have a "meet and greet" in Knoxville sometime.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals