• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New member from pa

SGE

Reaction score
Hello all I’ve owned 2 rangers in the past but I’m looking at a 2001 with a 3.0 and 5 speed. It has 195,000 miles and it’s a 2wd. The owner wants $1000. Haven’t looked at it yet but it looks good in the pictures.
Should I be concerned about anything in particular?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey SGE, welcome to TRS. I have no Idea your experience with anything, but my first few steps are fairly straightforward and simple.
I don't want anyone "showing" me a vehicle, I prefer they pretty much stand back and allow me to look at it, and do not want it to be warmed up or cranked before I do.
On the first basic walk around simply look at the body for damage, fenders, doors etc out of alignment and such, but that's a simple cover-up of sorts, because during the walk-around reach down and wipe your finger around in the tailpipe(that in itself might tell you all you want to know)
If it passes that test go underneath, look for loose hanging wires, busted shocks, rusted frames, transmission or other parts with wrecking yard chalk on them, lots of oil leaks, etc.
Then under the hood and basically do the same, considerable wiring harness "alterations" can be a bad sign. Look at the oil dipstick for rust or signs of water in the oil(if the oil has just been changed is not always a sign of "proper maintenance")
Then get in, (hood still up) looking for all the above, considerable alterations etc, dashboard out of alignment.
Set the parking brake and start it up and let it idle, get out and walk around it slowly, listening closely to the engine and looking for rough idling etc. At the tail pipe smell the fumes for excess fuel etc. listen to the motor carefully a bit. Reach over the the throttle cable if it's visible and slowly increase the rpm.
Then take it for a drive checking first for brakes, then for proper shifting through the gears(whether auto or manual) and listen to driveline components, wheel bearings, steering etc

That's a simple list, and could be greatly expanded depending on experience

SGE

Reaction score
Hey SGE, welcome to TRS. I have no Idea your experience with anything, but my first few steps are fairly straightforward and simple.
I don't want anyone "showing" me a vehicle, I prefer they pretty much stand back and allow me to look at it, and do not want it to be warmed up or cranked before I do.
On the first basic walk around simply look at the body for damage, fenders, doors etc out of alignment and such, but that's a simple cover-up of sorts, because during the walk-around reach down and wipe your finger around in the tailpipe(that in itself might tell you all you want to know)
If it passes that test go underneath, look for loose hanging wires, busted shocks, rusted frames, transmission or other parts with wrecking yard chalk on them, lots of oil leaks, etc.
Then under the hood and basically do the same, considerable wiring harness "alterations" can be a bad sign. Look at the oil dipstick for rust or signs of water in the oil(if the oil has just been changed is not always a sign of "proper maintenance")
Then get in, (hood still up) looking for all the above, considerable alterations etc, dashboard out of alignment.
Set the parking brake and start it up and let it idle, get out and walk around it slowly, listening closely to the engine and looking for rough idling etc. At the tail pipe smell the fumes for excess fuel etc. listen to the motor carefully a bit. Reach over the the throttle cable if it's visible and slowly increase the rpm.
Then take it for a drive checking first for brakes, then for proper shifting through the gears(whether auto or manual) and listen to driveline components, wheel bearings, steering etc

That's a simple list, and could be greatly expanded depending on experience
Thank you! I appreciate the advice

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
you're in the rust belt, take a small hammer and tap the frame looking for soft spots and holes.
pay particular attention to the rear, and where the front & back halves are spliced together.
also the bottom of the radiator support where it attaches to the frame.

Reactions: SGE

SGE

Reaction score
you're in the rust belt, take a small hammer and tap the frame looking for soft spots and holes.
pay particular attention to the rear, and where the front & back halves are spliced together.
also the bottom of the radiator support where it attaches to the frame.
Ok I’ll do that thanks.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
As for frame issues be sure to look well also at the frame mounts for the cabs, these have a tendency to rot. in front of and behind both front and rear spring hangers as these are common spots for rot also. Just add these to the list of mentioned items to look at since these are common issues with frames in these years.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Hello fellow Pennsylvanian.

There is only one way to test drive a potentially new to you Ranger:

Doughnuts.

SGE

Reaction score
As for frame issues be sure to look well also at the frame mounts for the cabs, these have a tendency to rot. in front of and behind both front and rear spring hangers as these are common spots for rot also. Just add these to the list of mentioned items to look at since these are common issues with frames in these years.
Appreciate the advise. I’m also looking at a 97 and possibly a 94 today. I’ll keep all of this in mind

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Appreciate the advise. I’m also looking at a 97 and possibly a 94 today. I’ll keep all of this in mind
So. How were the Doughnuts?!

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Damn good deal.

Pics!!!!!

SGE

Reaction score

Attachments

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Looks good!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals