• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Member from Milwaukee, WI

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
Greetings,
Recently picked up my first Ranger, a 2010 XLT 2.3L/5-speed/2wd with 77k on the clock. My last two trucks were older Yotas, but my family was always a "Ford house" growing up, so the Ranger feels like an old friend. Didn't really see myself getting a 4cyl nor a 2wd, but this one just felt great and really won me over with the 5-speed and how clean it was for a local truck.

So far, with winter nearly upon us, I've replaced the stock tiny all-season tires with 235/75r15 Blizzak DM-V2s for winter. It definitely improved the stance a bit, but I'm spoiled by how much higher my Tacoma sat, so I'll probably be looking at a mild level/lift, maybe a (gasp) body lift so I can clear 31" all-terrains without them looking stuffed. Last owner installed an AirLift air suspension in that back - that's cool; definitely something I would've looked into myself. I also put a 2004-5 mesh grille on, and have Fluid-Filmed the crap out of the undercarriage, rockers and cab corners in preparation for "road salt season." Otherwise, I plan on just enjoying this thing for many miles and years.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
great looking truck.

there is a point of interest, your rear axle is an 8.8 with disk brakes and big bearings? the internal carrier is only 28 splines. some see the big bearings and think it's 31 splines.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
Huh. I guess I had assumed it was a 7.5" but I'm gonna have to take a look under there later. Seems like there'd be more options if, say I wanted to add a locker if it were an 8.8" yeah? Honestly, I was surprised to see disc brakes in the back - that's a nice bonus.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
It sure is black

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Huh. I guess I had assumed it was a 7.5" but I'm gonna have to take a look under there later. Seems like there'd be more options if, say I wanted to add a locker if it were an 8.8" yeah? Honestly, I was surprised to see disc brakes in the back - that's a nice bonus.

probably should check what it actually is. when roll stability came out the rear end changed to 8.8 with disk brakes. I pulled one from a 2010 at a yard a couple years ago thinking I scored because it had the big Explorer sized outer bearings, then found it was only 28 splines.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Rear disc brakes didn't appear until 2011.In my opinion they're useless,if you're braking hard all the weight is on the front wheels.The 2004 I had used rear drums that I removed once a year for state inspection and to dump out the dust,I disassemble the rear discs on my 11 once a year,grind the rust off the rotors and slide points,and lube all the slides or they freeze up.NH road salt doesn't help a thing.The rear discs and traction control almost convinced me to keep my 2004.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
Rear disc brakes didn't appear until 2011.In my opinion they're useless,if you're braking hard all the weight is on the front wheels.The 2004 I had used rear drums that I removed once a year for state inspection and to dump out the dust,I disassemble the rear discs on my 11 once a year,grind the rust off the rotors and slide points,and lube all the slides or they freeze up.NH road salt doesn't help a thing.The rear discs and traction control almost convinced me to keep my 2004.
Hmm. Mine was sold as a 2010 but maybe it's a 2011 MY; I'll have to check the build date. It definitely has discs though... and, yeah. I'd be inclined to agree with you about the rear discs, that's why I was surprised to see them on this truck. It always makes me laugh when car reviewers complain about the new Tacoma or whatever still having outdated drum brakes in the back, but with so little weight in the back there's just no reason for them.

So far I've driven through one "snow event", thanks to the Blizzaks I never noticed the traction control kicking in, but yeah, I remember how annoyingly heavy-handed that system was in my Crown Vic.

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
To add insult to injury,they didn't use the Explorer rear disc setup that was used from 95-01 and would have fit,they designed a new system from scratch for one model year.Ford engineers don't talk to other design teams,we had a parts & service meeting with a Ranger engineer after the pulse vacuum hub system came out(98,I think) and I asked why they didn't just use the Explorer IFS 4x4 system instead of that rube goldberg design.He said he didn't know anything about Explorers.Dealer techs and service managers are expected to be familiar with all the products so we can fix the stuff they dream up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals