• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New kid on the block.. needs some advice on his rims.

adam83094

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a 1999 B3000 the beginning of September. It has 15x8 pacer sawblades. I love the rims! they clean up real good with steel wool and look good except the ring of RUST. 1 of them has hardly any 2 of them are okay and 1 is getting bad. its not just surface rust it has eaten through the chrome. Im only 17 so needless to say in on a BUDGET so what I'm wondering is if i should paint them black and leave the center cap and lugs chrome. and if i should paint them what kind of paint is good and how should i go about scuffing them. yea im new here so this may be an idiot question so its cool if you criticize me a little! :D

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got any pics of your truck online that you could link?

Assuming that you are talking about this style of stamped steel wheel:

Will end up looking similar to this:

Except with chrome center cap and nuts.

I say it's worth a shot, but might I recommend painting them with plasti-dip. Never used the stuff myself but a lot of people love it, and supposedly it holds up good. With that if you don't like the outcome just peel it back off. Regardless of what the can says I'd clean the wheels up good before using it.

adam83094

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
actually just 2 weeks ago i helped (when i say helped i mean i did all the work) my buddy plastidip his rims they look pretty good. Im going for more of a glossy appearence. what im worried about is how long it will last before the rust pops through again. i know the pic dont showcase the rims very well but its time for school ha!

Attachments

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah can't really see them in that pic. I was really just recommending the plastidip as a test run to see if you liked it. From what I've heard it can be painted over which supposedly has the side affect of making it more permanent, yet still removable. Couldn't help you on the rust issue though. Better pic of the wheel/rust might give someone an idea though.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
get aluma brite... if your wheels are steel use it straight. if they are aluminum, follow instructions on reducing it w/ water... clean them good; it'll be easy.

then wax the crap out of them w/ a good heavy wax.

or just paint them all black... but prep them good first.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals