• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new keys/torsion bar swap for coil

EricWright485

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone with a 2008 fx4 suspension (IFS torsion bar) upgraded to a coil over setup w/ longer control arms and CV shafts from the axle? If so, what brand, and how easy was the install? Could it be done in a garage with floor jacks and jack stands? I plan on possibly doing this later like next year, but for now, /

Also, has anyone installed the aftermarket re-indexed keys AND cranked the torsion bars? How much did you get out of it? Enough for 33s?

Right now I have sitting in my basement: new keys, add-a-leafs, and new shocks all around to adjust for about a 2"-4" lift I figured...but wasn't sure. I don't have the money yet for bigger tires, right now they're 30.5"s

I was wondering if I put all that stuff on, would the torsion bar keys + cranking be able to come up to just about 1-2" below the rear, without maxing out the operating angles of the CV shafts. I want the front end higher than it is, but I don't want to lose the rake that makes the truck look normal when it is doing it's job...carrying a load.

Thanks everyone for any advise, also I'm accepting any and all advise about my 2008 fx4 ranger, I love the SOHC 4.0L w/the 5 spd manual, it feels really solid and has a great deal of get-up-and-go, I drove an 89 4x4 with a 2.9 and I thought THAT felt strong when I was in high school.

Last edited:

EricWright485

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Well, after reading for a couple hours after posting this, I found basically all of my answers, thanks TRS for patiently answering the same questions over and over again lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals