• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New job.

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
Well, I finally got a job (part time) at a dealership and I am starting Monday. Stuck doing oil changes and tires for now. Got most of my stuff together, just need to get box ready to go tomorrow.

Any tips for someone starting at a dealership? Any tools you'd recommend getting?

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Congrats on the job man!! Nothing wrong with doing oil and tires as long as its a job in todays economy

wayfast73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
definatly a good impact since you dont want to risk a tire falling off, usually they supply torque sticks, good gloves, basic hand tools, a mirror helps for checking pads. If its flat rate go into the vehicle history and see what needs to be done if the tires havnt been balanced in a while recommend having them balanced usually that pays a half hour to road force balance, check the brakes and front end, check for exhaust leaks ect. Not only does that help the customer since they can plan, but you will get more hours in your paycheck, and the dealership might send you to school to be a tech or something along those lines.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Go to Lowes and get an IR 231G impact gun. It's not the best one on the market, but mine served me well for 3 years and didn't lose a step right up to the day the anvil broke in two. It will do the job while you save for a good one.

If you have the $200 to drop now I have an AirCat 1000-TH that I love. Light, quite, and powerful. And camo.

Um, don't buy vice grips from the Mac guy, they suck. Craftsman Cross-Force wrenches are nice, they are easy on the wrist, but you can't really put a cheater on them. A gallon jug of water with two butter dishes of ice in it is a nice thing to have. Especially in the summer.

If you are just starting out you have EVERYTHING to prove. Nobody cares what your papers say you know. Until you do it and show that you can do it you don't know how to do it. Take your time, make sure you do it right, and you will move up.

Lots of jobs suck. LOTS of them suck. Do them and don't complain about it. That will get you far.

Keep a bottle of Advil and a pair of nail clippers in your box. Don't ask why, you will figure it out.

ALWAYS check OASIS. ALWAYS.

Just some general thoughts.

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
Go to Lowes and get an IR 231G impact gun. It's not the best one on the market, but mine served me well for 3 years and didn't lose a step right up to the day the anvil broke in two. It will do the job while you save for a good one.

If you have the $200 to drop now I have an AirCat 1000-TH that I love. Light, quite, and powerful. And camo.
I was lucky when I left UTI and got some Snap-On airguns (3/8 & 1/2) for 50%. Came with metric and standard impact sets.

Um, don't buy vice grips from the Mac guy, they suck. Craftsman Cross-Force wrenches are nice, they are easy on the wrist, but you can't really put a cheater on them. A gallon jug of water with two butter dishes of ice in it is a nice thing to have. Especially in the summer.

If you are just starting out you have EVERYTHING to prove. Nobody cares what your papers say you know. Until you do it and show that you can do it you don't know how to do it. Take your time, make sure you do it right, and you will move up.
I will keep that in mind.

Lots of jobs suck. LOTS of them suck. Do them and don't complain about it. That will get you far.

Keep a bottle of Advil and a pair of nail clippers in your box. Don't ask why, you will figure it out.
I am not complaining. I worked for my family running/fixing equipment. I will never wish crusher duty on anyone during the summer.

ALWAYS check OASIS. ALWAYS.

Just some general thoughts.
They hammered that into our heads during Ford FACT. I will never for get that.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
congrats man. a job is a job right now. i worked at autozone for 6 months while i looked for a real job. i'd have much rather been at a dealership changing oil. (i'm not a people person)

bust ass and turn that shit into a full time position!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals