• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New here, 1999 xlt 2wd manual want to swap 5.0 HELP!

Danger Ranger 1999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone, thanks for having me and thanks in advance for you help. Got the 2.5L 1999 xlt reg cab 2wd manual and want to do the 5.0 swap. Searching for the best donor vehicle. Do i stick with a 98+ and deal with PATS or earlier model and deal with fuel system differences? Also i want to maintain a manual tranmission, i realize i will need something heavier duty maybe out of a mustang or older f-150 but i also need this to tie into the 8.8 rear end that i also want to swap. Lastly ac is a concern, i am planning to just leave the compressor tied in and out of the way and hopefully just bolt it to the 302 when i drop it in... will that work? Oh and also the ecu being from a auto, what issues will i encounter hooking up to a manual transmission? Is there a harness i can buy pre-made or will i have to modify the existing one.
Thanks for all the help guys, i have very limited mechanical experience but am super excited about this project. Any and all advise is greatly appreciated

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hi and welcome to TRS~!

I can't answer your questions but there are others on here who can..but since this is the introduction section I would suggest checking out the engine conversion section and reading similar posts there...if you can't find what you need to do what you want then posting will get you specifics if anyone knows.

I considered the same swap at one point many years ago and have since read through a couple of threads by those who went ahead with it...

So, yes, what you want to do is probably been documented somewhere on here...if not you can start your own build thread and get the ball rolling.

If the 2.5 is still in good shape you might even be able to sell it or donate it to another member...all kinds of possibilities...

Enjoy!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
a 5.3 gm truck engine would be my first choice. though lower mile easily swapped units are getting tougher to find...

in your case the explorer can literally be a bolt it. so its a good way to go if you can find a low mile donor...by some miracle.

the later 90's f 150 4.2 v6 with the m5od-r2 manual trans with some drill bit massaging is a good way to go to stay manual trans. there are several builds here to read through. the big trans requires the big t case as well.

I suggest to plan on buying a tuner...moates 1/4 horse, tweecer or sct will go a long ways towards maximizing your value for this swap.

start reading swap threads...browns is excellent...ranger svt...there are dozens.

CarsonRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
If the 2.5 is still in good shape you might even be able to sell it or donate it to another member...all kinds of possibilities...
:D I'd volunteer to take it off your hands. Kidding, I have a lot to learn before attempting an engine swap.

Welcome to the forums!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals