• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New headlight switch HOT

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
I replaced my headlight switch because the headlights were cycling on/off going down the road. The old switch did not rest on the dome light contact. The new switch rests on the dome light contact so the only way to turn it off is turn the switch clockwise a bit. This work but the ceramic wheel gets extremely hot. I’ll post up a couple pictures of the switches and my harness plug. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That "ceramic wheel" is actually a resister. A mechanically variable one... they do get hot anytime the head and/park lamps on. It sheds voltage to control the brightness of the dash lights. Where there is resistance there is heat. The wheel getting hot is normal.

It's been awhile since I have even used one of those switches but if memory still serves me correctly... turn the knob counter clockwise all the way... the dome lamp turns on. Rotate clockwise.... it turns the dome lamp off. Continue turning clockwise... it will dim the dash lights. Seems from your description... the switch is functioning correctly.

I also see your connector of burnt a bit.... probably the fault of your old headlamp switch. That burnt connector is not good... it also creates resistance... and heat. it will only get worse. I would at least try to clean the terminal and tighten it up to ensure it makes the best contact it can. But I personally would be keeping an eye out for a new connector.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I think Rock Auto sells the connector with a short pigtail. I strongly recommend replacing it.

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
That "ceramic wheel" is actually a resister. A mechanically variable one... they do get hot anytime the head and/park lamps on. It sheds voltage to control the brightness of the dash lights. Where there is resistance there is heat. The wheel getting hot is normal.

It's been awhile since I have even used one of those switches but if memory still serves me correctly... turn the knob counter clockwise all the way... the dome lamp turns on. Rotate clockwise.... it turns the dome lamp off. Continue turning clockwise... it will dim the dash lights. Seems from your description... the switch is functioning correctly.

I also see your connector of burnt a bit.... probably the fault of your old headlamp switch. That burnt connector is not good... it also creates resistance... and heat. it will only get worse. I would at least try to clean the terminal and tighten it up to ensure it makes the best contact it can. But I personally would be keeping an eye out for a new connector.
The switch is operating properly then, thanks! Old one must have been off a bit.

Last edited:

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
I think Rock Auto sells the connector with a short pigtail. I strongly recommend replacing it.
Got it, I will get one ordered up. I did not notice the lights cycling on and off with the new switch, but that ceramic wheel was so hot I couldn’t touch it. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I don’t normally touch that. So I don’t know how hot it should or should not be. It only comes into play when panel lights are on and then, the brighter you set the lights, the less warm it will get because you are using less resistance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals