• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Fuel Pump tight fit. Need confirmation I got the right one...

BTomesch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Automatic
2004 Ford Ranger XL, 126 Wheelbase
Hey guys i went and got a new fuel pump assembly made by Carter (Part# number on box P76131M). I got the New fuel pump assembly in the tank and i have to push down on this thing do get it to fit. Its hitting bottom and the top is sitting one inch above the tank. I can push down on it and it compresses but im afraid to put the fuel pump lock on it cause its such a tight fit. I looked at the part number on the Fuel Pump assembly and its a bit different from what the box says (Part # P76131BD). Do I have the right part here? Are fuel pump assembly's usually push down this hard to fit?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Return it, go to the junkyard and buy a used Ford one for 10 bucks. Not only will it fit properly, it has a better chance of actually working than the new Carter one. I'm being serious not sarcastic.

That or spend the $300 for a new Ford pump. Either way, you need a Ford pump new or used.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The "universal pumps" are often spring loaded so they can fit more than one gas tank depth

So not abnormal, part number difference is, that part seem odd

The Motorcraft fuel pump assembly would fit as is, no springs, assuming correct part number, lol.

BTomesch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Automatic
i got it to fit. the new ring that they gave me was a bit smaller than needed to be. the new ring wasnt staying seated correctly and making it kinda hard to press the fuel pump flush with the tank

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals