• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New from Wisconsin

Kowalski2019

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Well my wife traded her Nissan Rogue for a 2019 Ranger FX4. OK I thought. I'm a DIY maintenance type and just completed the first oil change - no you don't have to remove the front wheel by the way. Any recommendations as to which OBDII scanner is best? Moderately priced so under $200.

I'll be searching forums today as well, lot's of great information as I learn about the 2.3 EB.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Welcome to TRS!

I got a thing called "fixd" that is basically a little thing about the size of a dental floss container that plugs into your port then sends info back to your phone. You can even see what things are doing in real-time. I got it for free but i think they go for about 75 bucks

Kowalski2019

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Thx, looked it up on amazon. 59 bucks.

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Any recommendations as to which OBDII scanner is best? Moderately priced so under $200.
Welcome!

IMHO, you definitely want a scantool setup that gives you control of the software and the hardware. Assuming you agree with that premise, the most-capable software for Ford vehicles is FORScan.

That page is a good introduction but also has a subsection titled "Supported adapters". On a modern Ford, where the (Medium Speed) MS-CAN protocol is used (i.e. in addition to the [High Speed] HS-CAN protocol used on older Fords like my 2004 Ranger), you'll certainly want hardware that supports the MS-CAN protocol, preferably automatically (i.e. not by using an external toggle switch to manually switch between HS and MS).

There's also this FORScan forum thread with more details, but it seems rather cluttered to me:

ELM327-compatible adapters - how to choose

If you follow the FORScan site's recommendations, you should probably get the OBDLink EX (wired, USB) scantool if you want to run FORScan under Windows. Similarly, you should probably get the OBDLink MX+ (wireless, Bluetooth) scantool if you want to run FORScan under Android or iOS, i.e. using a smartphone or a tablet. I only run it under Windows, on a laptop, because the Windows version has considerably more power and features than the smartphone/tablet "FORScan Lite" versions.

Torque Pro is also useful software (for Android and iOS devices) and can be used with lots of OBD2 hardware, but it doesn't inherently "know" any Ford-specific PIDs like FORScan does. And Torque Pro takes an extra step or 2 to use a rather limited list of manufacturer-specific PIDs whereas FORScan has tons of them built right in with no user intervention required.

I have very limited exposure to Torque Pro, but from what I've seen of it versus FORScan, FORScan is just more capable overall. For example, you want to be able to query non-emission-related DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) for things like the transmission, the ABS, the airbags, and various other vehicle modules. FORScan knows how to do all that (it's all in the software, as long as your hardware supports the appropriate protocols). Torque Pro does not, from what I've seen.

On the other hand, if you want a stand-alone, all-in-one (hardware + software together, inseparable) OBD2 scantool, I never went down that path, so I have no useful recommendation, other than "Don't do it!". :)

Sorry for the verbosity, but I hope that's somewhat useful. Feel free to ask more if you're interested. I bought my 1st scantool hardware over a decade ago (a wired USB version that's no longer sold but I still use it frequently). I own 4 scantools now, including the OBDLink MX (not the newer 'MX+' version). And I've been happily using FORScan for over 6 years now (and various other pieces of software for even longer). FORScan is simply the best overall combination of "capability" and "low-cost", IMHO. That's why I think your choice of hardware should be centered around first choosing the right software.

Whatever way you go, I wish you good luck with future diagnosis and your wife's new vehicle!

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i have a few hand held readers i got after googling and reading forums but generally, i use a 15 dollar obd bluetooth dongle and torque lite. if i can't get it with torque lite, i dig out the hand held readers.

i had to get stuff that was usable on multiple vehicles because the wife was driving a sc mini cooper, i had a 98 sonoma, and the kids had jeeps.

MXGerry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome and congrats on the trade! Enjoy

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals