• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Engine?

mark4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
An engine can run lean enough to set a code without pinging and rich enough to set a code without smoking. I'd be leery of tearing down a 178,000 mile engine if I wasn't going to completely go through it but I also wouldn't buy a 20 year old used engine unless I was going to rebuild it. If it passed the leakdown test that indicates the rings are sealing but at 178k they've got to be worn. It might be worth a second opinion but drive it for a while before bringing it in for diag and do not plug your code reader into it. We had an autozone 1/4 mile from the dealership and their $29 code readers caused us no end of problems.
What do you mean drive it for a while before I bring it in? You mean to get the engine light to come on for the mechanic?
And how can a code reader cause problems? You mean the customer came in with false assumptions base on bad reading from crappy code readers? or the code readers messed something up?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I mean drive it for a few days to make sure the memory is intact, if you can make the light come on that's even better. If you've unplugged anything or used your code scanner, unhook the battery for a few minutes to clear any erroneous codes that might have been created before you start driving it.

mark4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't do a new or used engine

I would replace the heads or do a valve job on them which ever is cheaper
4.0l heads like to crack so they need to be tested for that prior to doing a valve job so..........when you add up the costs some times new heads can be a better option

Loss of compression in one or two cylinders is head gasket or valves, rarely piston/ring issue those tend to lose compression equally and nearer the 450-500k miles point

The low end, crank/rod bearings and pistons and rings, tend to last above the 400k miles so not seeing the benefit of the full engine swap
If your miles are under 300k then I would just do the heads because of the low compression
Now AFTER the heads are off and mechanic see signs of ring wear(marks) in the lower compression cylinder walls THEN and only then would you consider a full engine swap

And the difference in cost should only be 3 hours max, because most of the disassembly has to be done to get an engine out, pulling the heads is just a little extra work

Can't speak to the earlier problems or codes, but there are more than a few DIYers and Pro Mechanics than will happily swap out parts because its easier than "thinking" about what might actually be causing the problem, lol, its just human nature

Having the exact current codes would be helpful
Codes are not written in english, well the kind of engish you would think
Lean doesn't mean engine is actually running Lean, same for Rich
These are computer codes referencing the OPEN TIME for the fuel injectors, at no time was engine running lean or rich
If an engine is actually running Lean it will ping/knock, and NO codes
If its running Rich then it will blow grey smoke, and again NO codes
So grain of salt when looking up codes :)
Walt, Ron, Don: I talked to my old mechanic from 15 years ago and he does not work on old cars or breaks engines down-not worth it. He also said that I could replace the engine and it could still be something else. He said the exhaust could be blocked. Huh? I asked him about that twice and he did not elaborate. Kinda weird.

Then I went to the my new mechanic that suggested the used engine replacement. He says he does not suggest repairing my current engine(from his experience-older guy) because you could repair the head or valves or whatever but then it could break down again because the new repair would then pressurize the other part of the engine which then would have to be repaired. Does that make sense? He did not suggest a total rebuild.
In the end he suggested a newer used car might be the best option.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, ashtray is full best to get another car :)

IMO, with symptoms/tests done, clogged exhaust wouldn't be in the mix, static compression can not be effected by clogged exhaust

No, new heads, assuming bad valves found, wouldn't put any more "stress" on other engine parts than there were before the valve issues, so not following that at all

Any used car is a roll of the dice, newer or older, no history
You would think a newer one would be a better gamble, but its still a roll of the dice

IMO, the devil you know is a better "bet" than the devil you don't know
If your vehicle is a "lemon", in your opinion, then sell it as is, and spend that money plus the cost of what repair would have been on another used vehicle
You may or may not be better off, that would be the "undiscovered country", the future, lol

There is no "wrong decision" here, because the future is unknown, just get what info you can then make your best guess

Last edited:

mark4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
Yes, ashtray is full best to get another car :)

IMO, with symptoms/tests done, clogged exhaust wouldn't be in the mix, static compression can not be effected by clogged exhaust

No, new heads, assuming bad valves found, wouldn't put any more "stress" on other engine parts than there were before the valve issues, so not following that at all

Any used car is a roll of the dice, newer or older, no history
You would think a newer one would be a better gamble, but its still a roll of the dice

IMO, the devil you know is a better "bet" than the devil you don't know
If your vehicle is a "lemon", in your opinion, then sell it as is, and spend that money plus the cost of what repair would have been on another used vehicle
You may or may not be better off, that would be the "undiscovered country", the future, lol

There is no "wrong decision" here, because the future is unknown, just get what info you can then make your best guess
Yeah, unconfident in both of those responses.
I figure a rebuild (whatever it may be) or engine replacement would correct the "lemon" aspect. Like I said lots of new parts on it and it looks good with no rust, suspension issues, along new ac, radiator, etc..... might try to find someone willing to break it down and fix it.
Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals