• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Engine stuff

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, so, its finaly time to get me a new engine. I was woundering if the H.O wireing harness is different then the non-HO harness? i;ve heard two storys on this and need to know the low down befor i get goin on this. Im colecting the parts and hope to get it done in two days as long as im not waiting for parts. Im ordering a reman' motor from a reputable shop, geting a used H.O Throttle body and buying the 19lb injectors. My old 5.0 engine was a wanna be H.O and i think the coble fooking that was done to make it work is partly relatedto it dying. I was using the non h.o injectors and throttle body/ecm with a h.0 shoft block with un known heads on it. so it was truly a mut haha. anyways, i know the basics about what extra plarts to plan on replacing, i juss need to know abour the wireing harness. also, the intake plenum and intake manafold are the same for the h.o and non h.o engines right?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
the intake plenum and intake manafold are the same for the h.o and non h.o engines right?
No, they're differnet. They look alike, but they're not. At least the upper anyway. It's really hard to understand the rest of your questions with all the spelling errors, you really need to work on that if you want intelligent answers.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok
Is the wireing harness for the 5.0 H.O the same as the NON H.O engine, or is it just the ECM thats different. Also needed to know about the intake. What is different? Runner dimensions or do they flow better.?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
That I can't tell you, only that the uppers have different casting numbers. So Ford changed something between them. There were a couple members here or on the RPS forums that went over all that a few years ago. I believe the harnesses are the same, just the ECM different, that is comparing SD to SD and MAF to MAF.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Baddad-
Ya, he told me about some different #'s back in the day, but they all match up to two different intakes, but they are interchangable. I know they have tow different runner styles, but thats more of a issue whith not being able to mix and match plenums to intake manafolds, which isnt my issue. Thanks for the input about the harness, thats good news.

SRL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Automatic

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks man. My problem is at this point im prity damn sure what i need, but now im having issues with availibility. There are a lot of different ecm codes that work have the h.o programing. Im sticking with SD and i think thouse are mass air ecms....

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Im sticking with SD and i think thouse are mass air ecms....
Just curious - Why?

I believe my friend's 93' HO was sequential injection, my 87' non-HO 5.0L was multi-port (bank fire/non-MAF/grey top injectors). I don't know the whole history of things, I really don't know a lot about the wiring, but I will tell you that you should get copies of the diagrams of the donor of the wiring harness, and diagrams of the donor of the PCM and go from there.

It might be in your best interest to go carb. or go with something more plug and play. I am not even going to mess around and get a painless or Ford Racing harness to avoid any issues in a used harness. I don't want an electrical gremlin I am going to spend a year trying to find.

Pete

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Why am i sticking with Speed Density? because its what i have now, and it works fine for me. I have the wireing harness, and are you sure the 87 bank fire? Im not getting anything from a doner vehicle either, the engine came from a shop in Toronto, the injectors TB/Egr Spacer and ecm came from ebay. I dont like carbs either, they went out with bell bottoms in the 60's. I like the dependability and driveability of EFI.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
On the MAF convserion for my 2.9L, I only needed to add 2 pins to the 60-pin harness. I imagine the 5.0L would be somewhat similar.

I have the wireing harness, and are you sure the 87 bank fire?
Woops, that was my mistake. You're right, I dug up the manual, and it's clear by the wiring diagram that it is in fact sequential fuel injection, I don't know what made me think that.

I dont like carbs either, they went out with bell bottoms in the 60's. I like the dependability and driveability of EFI.
That's more of a preference, honestly there's nothing really wrong with them except for the fact that they're "crude". A cave man can install a carburetor, but it sounds like you're going to put your self through a little bit of a hassle.

Pete

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
how am i putting myself through a hassle? Im already runing a 5.0 EFI in my truck?

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I used to run a carb when i was younger. But i do a lot more then just highway driving, and smoth flat trials and mud. I get into some pritty weird situations when carbs always let me down. When ifirst worked with EFI i hated it, now that I understand what al lthe sensors and drivers do its not all that hard. I juss dont know alll the details about FORD ecms. I work for deere and deal with diesels all day...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals