• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"New" Daily 4x4 has had the front drive shaft removed.

YankeeRose76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 & 1999
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
99 has 3.0 V6, Auto transmission, and 4wd
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I bought a 99 Ranger XLT 4x4 very recently. ( Stupid cheap) It has had the front drive shaft removed for some reason. There are no codes from the 4wd system at this time, and it seems to be functional other than the missing driveshaft. Why would someone have done this? I am thinking that there had to have been some kind of issue. Also..... where to start with figuring this out and getting it working if possible. Truck has 3.0L engine if that helps any.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I would probably start by inspecting what IS there. Get the front up on Jack stands. Rotate the pinion on the front differential and see if the wheels rotate with the hubs engaged. Does it have manual hubs or auto? Make sure there is no binding or bad noises. Maybe take the hubs off, clean, lubricate (lightly) and reinstall. Then start looking for a drive shaft to install.

The 4x4 system has no way of knowing whether or not the drive shaft is there. So the missing shaft would not throw any kind of error code or fault.

YankeeRose76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 & 1999
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ty. it is an auto system not manual. I've done enough digging to know that it is the PVH system. I only did a check for codes on the truck in general as this is normal procedure for me with anything I buy.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They had kind of a weird CV joint on the shafts of the 98+ trucks IIRC, they may have had a problem with that.

But yeah, check the front end and t-case out... then you might hit a JY for a driveshaft.

YankeeRose76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 & 1999
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
cool TY.
My local u-pull yards seem to be idiots in regards to compatible swap parts for any vehicles that I try to get parts for, but that is an entirely different issue.

NakedDucks

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It’s possible they removed it for better fuel mileage. (A rumor)

Or did a young person own the truck and his/her dad removed the DS to keep them from taking it off road?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I drove my Ranger with the front driveshaft out for a while, including a round trip from CA to KS. It does improve gas mileage a little but the most noticeable thing I observed was the absence of a very minor vibration I always had 80 to 90 mph. Yes, I know I should not be going that fast and don't very often. It was off while I was deciding how to repair and waiting for a new driveshaft. The boot on the CV joint went bad, threw out the lube and the CV joint went bad. The hassle of replacing the CV joint and the questionable quality of some made it an easy decision to just get a new driveshaft.

YankeeRose76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 & 1999
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It’s possible they removed it for better fuel mileage. (A rumor)

Or did a young person own the truck and his/her dad removed the DS to keep them from taking it off road?
no idea on any history of the truck really. I found it on Craigslist listed cheap at a wholesale auto dealer in Tulsa OK. pretty much traded a given to me '98 Mercury sable for the truck. It started, ran, and I was able to drive it from Tulsa back into Missouri with no issues. I've put almost 3000 miles on it in just barely over 2 weeks.

YankeeRose76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 & 1999
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I drove my Ranger with the front driveshaft out for a while, including a round trip from CA to KS. It does improve gas mileage a little but the most noticeable thing I observed was the absence of a very minor vibration I always had 80 to 90 mph. Yes, I know I should not be going that fast and don't very often. It was off while I was deciding how to repair and waiting for a new driveshaft. The boot on the CV joint went bad, threw out the lube and the CV joint went bad. The hassle of replacing the CV joint and the questionable quality of some made it an easy decision to just get a new driveshaft.
Interesting to know that it might not have been removed due to bigger issues. That, of course does remain to be seen though. I went to my nearby pick N pull to get a front drive shaft and have learned the hard way not to trust their "compatible vehicles" list. The driveshaft I pulled was from an explorer on that list and it turned out to be 2" short. Thankfully it wasn't very expensive.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals