• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Coolant Recommendations for 1987 2.9L V6

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I read the whole thing. Not only is it incoherent rambling nonsense void of any scientific reasoning in a strange attempt to sell snake oil, it's very basic principle is invalid. Distilled water is NOT the same as deionized water. Not that deionized water is bad for a cooling system anyway. Distilled water is generally slightly acidic so not good on metal (we can sorta agree there) but coolant is designed to be mixed with it to create the proper chemical balance. No antifreeze in existence can possibly be created and balanced to be mixed with tap water since no one knows what the hell comes out of a tap. It can however be created and balanced to be mixed with a universally known formula - aka distilled water. So unless you run only 100% water as a coolant, you mix coolant with distilled water. You know, like the directions on every bottle of coolant says because they freaking designed it for distilled water.

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The Ford manuals specified distilled water so that's what I use. I replaced the radiator in my Mustang in 1990 and it's still clean.
My tap water is well water that is conditioned to remove minerals that cause hardness, lead, raydon, and uranium. The softener backflushes with a salt solution so my water contains trace amounts of salt. Municipal water contains chlorine and who knows what else.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Plain old green coolant mixed 50/50 coolant/water, they're nothing special, regular oil and coolant and they'll do fine...just keeping up on the maintenance is the biggest thing that people skip and wonder why they have trouble.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals