• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Chick!

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My former ranger was doing similar to that and it was the fuel reg. Pop the line off that goes to your brake vacume booster and sniff for gasoline, if the diaphram in the reg fails it let gas backfeed and can even hydrolock the engine. If its bad and pumped gas in your vac booster replace that too as it has a rubber diaphram also. Let us know what you find and welcome.:icon_thumby:

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My former ranger was doing similar to that and it was the fuel reg. Pop the line off that goes to your brake vacume booster and sniff for gasoline, if the diaphram in the reg fails it let gas backfeed and can even hydrolock the engine. If its bad and pumped gas in your vac booster replace that too as it has a rubber diaphram also. Let us know what you find and welcome.:icon_thumby:
Edit: Guess I should say a failed fuel regulator brings you to a big rich fuel condition and will wash down your cylinder walls and that gas will dilute your engine oil. If it is failed change your oil/filter and run it for a decent drive because your cat/muffler will have raw gas in them too.

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to the addiction, some good guys and gals here lots of info and friends to behold. I would start simple. When was the last time it had a complete tune up. plugs, wires, cap. rotor, oil, and filters ( fuel, air, and oil ). If it is the the timing and the guage is missing i'd take it to a garage you trust and have them check the timing for you. Exspecially if you don't own a timing light cause although you can rent most tools from a auto parts store they don't loan out timing lights.:annoyed:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Summer2003/VacuumLeaks.htm

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.html

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=41

^ Click on those links for some info. I'm unclear whether this truck has EVER run properly since you got it. If not, I too suspect the previous owner botched up the timing when the heads were done.

I DON'T think you have a transmission problem (yet). If the engine is running poorly, its vacuum to the transmission shift modulator may be the cause of shifting issues.

Welcome to The Ranger Station!

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Add a PCV and breather filter to the list of tune up parts for giggles. You may have multiple problems give it a complete tuneup if you havent, comfirm the timing with the spout disconnected, check the vacuum pressure will tell you if you have external leaks or mechanical issues then it is all fuel delivery and electronic, Inspect all of the wiring clean and repair as necessary. Maybe someone here that lives close to you can help you hammer it out hopefully with a timing light and vacuum guage would be nice. To check the timing chain take off the dizzy cap and with a socket turn the crank in both directions a little and see how far it moves before moving the rotor it should only be a couple degrees. GL

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Welcome to the site Christell!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Sounds like it's not running on all cylinders to me.

And popping from the exhaust on decel is going to be from a lean condition, not lack of 'back pressure'. Back pressure is not a good thing and you want the least amount possible, but that's a whole 'nother subject...

I would start by checking the firing order. Make sure the right plug wires are on the right plugs. Here is a picture:

If the firing order is correct, I would pull the distributor cap and plugs, and check them all. By reading the plugs you can determine which cylinder(s) is not firing.

If the compression checks out, then the problem can only be in two other areas. Spark and Fuel. (Unless of course, the timing chain has jumped a tooth or someone didn't put it in the right spot)

Lack of Spark, or incorrectly timed spark can cause a misfire. I would check the timing, and make sure we have spark on every cylinder.

Lack of fuel can cause a misfire, I would check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

Last edited:

Ms. Bennett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm leaning toward bad timing, as in jumped timing. The 'shaking like a leaf on a windy day' makes me think that when the PO did the heads, he didn't line up the timing marks correctly or didn't tighten something correctly and the timing is whacked now.

Welcome abord, Chris tell! :)

edit: sorry, forgot to add this: To check timing you'll need a tach and timing light. Follow the directions (disconnect this, turn on that) on what to do to check it properly.
The timing gauge has been broke off, therefor checking with a timing light(which I have already tried) will do me no good. Is there another way to check it. And I like the way you think1 Those were my thoughts exactly.

Ms. Bennett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like it's not running on all cylinders to me.

And popping from the exhaust on decel is going to be from a lean condition, not lack of 'back pressure'. Back pressure is not a good thing and you want the least amount possible, but that's a whole 'nother subject...

I would start by checking the firing order. Make sure the right plug wires are on the right plugs. Here is a picture:

If the firing order is correct, I would pull the distributor cap and plugs, and check them all. By reading the plugs you can determine which cylinder(s) is not firing.

If the compression checks out, then the problem can only be in two other areas. Spark and Fuel. (Unless of course, the timing chain has jumped a tooth or someone didn't put it in the right spot)

Lack of Spark, or incorrectly timed spark can cause a misfire. I would check the timing, and make sure we have spark on every cylinder.

Lack of fuel can cause a misfire, I would check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail.
Thank you for the diagram. When I first got the truck, I did a complete tune-up. New plugs, wires, cap. Spark plugs 1 and 4 are not firing correctly. The plugs have been changed at least 15 times each and they are covered in oil. and checking the fuel pressure is my next step. I am actually trying to find someone with the tester in order to do so.

Last edited:

Ms. Bennett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to the addiction, some good guys and gals here lots of info and friends to behold. I would start simple. When was the last time it had a complete tune up. plugs, wires, cap. rotor, oil, and filters ( fuel, air, and oil ). If it is the the timing and the guage is missing i'd take it to a garage you trust and have them check the timing for you. Exspecially if you don't own a timing light cause although you can rent most tools from a auto parts store they don't loan out timing lights.:annoyed:
I do own a timing light. Is there a way I can do this myself with a missing gauge? Kinda short on cash these days and they want 75 bucks to do so. Unfortunately that is hard to come by these days. At least for me it is! Lol.

Ms. Bennett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Edit: Guess I should say a failed fuel regulator brings you to a big rich fuel condition and will wash down your cylinder walls and that gas will dilute your engine oil. If it is failed change your oil/filter and run it for a decent drive because your cat/muffler will have raw gas in them too.
Okay. I apologize if I am confusing everyone. The truck smells like gas when its running and as far as the cat convert. I had that taken off bc it was extremely clogged and had straight pipe running through and put on a new muffler.
Vacuums.... hmmmmm now that is one thing I know nothing about, there are so many hoses running to everything and there are a few that are not plugged into anything and i can not find out where they plug into. Unfortunately the PO is an idiot and i was pretty much robbed when i bought this truck. I need to find one of you guys who live near me. LOL

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Thank you for the diagram. When I first got the truck, I did a complete tune-up. New plugs, wires, cap. Spark plugs 1 and 4 are not firing correctly. The plugs have been changed at least 15 times each and they are covered in oil. and checking the fuel pressure is my next step. I am actually trying to find someone with the tester in order to do so.
Are plugs 1 and 4 the only ones with oil on them? Or do they all have oil on them? Is the oil on the threads or on the electrode tip?

Are you sure plugs 1 and 4 don't have the wires crossed?

If it smells like gas, it's probably running rich, or, maybe 1 and 4 aren't even firing, so unburnt gas is getting into the exhaust.

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
I do own a timing light. Is there a way I can do this myself with a missing gauge? Kinda short on cash these days and they want 75 bucks to do so. Unfortunately that is hard to come by these days. At least for me it is! Lol.
you should be able to to a junk yqard to get a new gauge
Anyone live semi-close to Detroit Michigan?
jayfx4 does he lives in dearbourne.

Ms. Bennett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Are plugs 1 and 4 the only ones with oil on them? Or do they all have oil on them? Is the oil on the threads or on the electrode tip?

Are you sure plugs 1 and 4 don't have the wires crossed?

If it smells like gas, it's probably running rich, or, maybe 1 and 4 aren't even firing, so unburnt gas is getting into the exhaust.
I'm not sure if they are crossed, I'm going to go check in a few minutes. There is oil on both the threads and the electrode tips and I'm almost positive that these 2 are not firing at all. and they are the only 2 with oil on them!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals