• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Chick!

Ms. Bennett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone!
My name is Christell (pronounced Chris tell) and I am a new owner of a 1989 Ford Ranger, 2.9L 2WD. The truck ran great for about a month and then starting having what I thought was engine problems. I have done some but not much research about my truck. I have attempted to find the problem with the help of my father and brothers but not having much luck. If someone could message me back, I would like to explain as much as I can (what has been done, what I have done and what my next step is) to you and see what you think. Thanks to any and everyone who helps me get my truck running right.
Peace

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
So whats the problem? Won't run? Wont start?

Give the best explanation that you can of what is happening and we'll try to tell you what we think the problem may be.

Last edited:

Ms. Bennett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Where to begin....
Well the truck currently runs slow. When its in idle, it shakes like a leaf on on a windy day. When in reverse It shakes even worse! Once the truck is in drive, it wont switch into last gear until I hit about 35-40 mph and It takes about 1-2 minutes to get to 40 mph (literately). Sometimes I try to accelerate and the rpm's will go up but It doesnt go any faster. sometimes while the truck finally goes into last gear, the rpm's decrease while I accelerate. Feels like a misfire but I don't know how to find out for sure. I took it to the shop and they advised me to check the compression and the results were fine. My next step is to check the fuel compression and the fuel regulator. I have tried to check the timing but the gauge is missing. Is there another way I can check the timing?

Last edited:

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Since you mentioned "Drive" is it safe to assume you have an automatic trans?

I'd start with checking your trans fluid. If your RPMs are going up without any increase in speed that's a good indicator that something in your trans is not doing its job.

Last edited:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds like a combination of transmission slipping, the torque converter locking weirdly and a few other transmission problems...

how does the truck run in neutral?

welcome to the site btw!

Ms. Bennett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Yes its an automatic my bad. And don't worry guys, I didn't take that as rude at all.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Welcome to TRS!

I'm not real familiar with the 2.9 or the automatic transmissions behind them, but I am inclined to agree with these guys that it sounds like a transmission problem. I'm sure that if you work with these guys (and can figure out what they are saying some times) that you will get to the bottom of your problem.

Ms. Bennett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
When the truck's in neutral it runs No different.
And I forgot to tell you guys something... Since I have checked the compression about 2 wks ago, it has been acting likes it gonna back fire. when it its in park it will occasionally spit/pop/however at the tailpipe but when i'm in drive it will only do it the second i take my foot off the gas. Any idea what that could be about?

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
popping on deceleration is typically a lack of back pressure, and is quite normal

Ms. Bennett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
And the engine has been rebuilt because of a head problem. The previous owner put rebuilt heads on.

Ms. Bennett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
popping on deceleration is typically a lack of back pressure, and is quite normal
So how do I go about fixing that even though that is the least of my worries. You say it's normal but It didn't do it before. Why now?

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
I'm leaning toward bad timing, as in jumped timing. The 'shaking like a leaf on a windy day' makes me think that when the PO did the heads, he didn't line up the timing marks correctly or didn't tighten something correctly and the timing is whacked now.

Welcome abord, Chris tell! :)

edit: sorry, forgot to add this: To check timing you'll need a tach and timing light. Follow the directions (disconnect this, turn on that) on what to do to check it properly.

Last edited:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you could have a blown exhaust system, which is no big deal, or your exhaust could be rich, which could be caused by what ranger dave said, timing out

Silver talon84

May 2010 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS!!

Couple of questions for you. How many miles does it have, and what have you done for basic maintinece since you have owned the truck? Id start with the basics and go from there. I'm not sold on it being a tranny problem, but more basic things like air/fuel filters, spark plugs, fpr too. Check the little things first, like the fuel filter. Take it off, and see if you can blow through it. If its hard or your unable to blow through it, replace it. Had alot of different cars and trucks shake and stumble, espically in reverse or accelerating, and it was fuel delivery issues (ie: fuel filter, fpr, or dirty injectors).

RatDog8o8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS!
This....
Place....
R O C K S!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals