• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New carpet

t.d.nine-30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1994 ranger extended cab. The interior is grey and I want it to be black. Since Its my daily driver and I dont have alot of free time I figured I would do it piece by piece. And seeing as how my carpet is pretty old and nasty I figured I would start with that.

So here's my actual question:

I've seen molded carpet kits for a couple hundred but can I get away with just buying roll of black carpet and trimming it to fit my cab? I understand that it wont be as perfectly precise of a fit as the kit would be but as long as it looks decent I'll be happy. Has anyone tried this? and is there any important details I am missing?
thanks
-Trevor

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic
ive done the same exact thing it turns out all right, just a few wrinkles over the tranny tunnel but thats it.

jasongind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'd just take the carpet out, spray some cleaner/degreaser on it then wash it with a pressure washer. You'd be amazed how clean it will get. I've seen them look almost new again. Then just get some fabric dye and dye the whole thing black. Wham Bam "new" black carpet for ~$10 and a perfect fit.

tylork92

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yep...cleaning them like that tho takes a while for them to dry. You could go to your local junk yard and look around for some rangers with nice carpet and get it....take it home vaccume it and spot clean it if theres any spots and dye it.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dont dye carpet. it will just wear through to the original color and look like crap.

ive done it many times and you always need to redye the carpet after a couple of weeks.

either do a carpet yourself, or just wait and get a molded kit off ebay.

t.d.nine-30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I think I will probably end up buying carpet material and custom fitting it. I don't mind a few wrinkles here and there. Maybe this Saturday if I have time?

sooperxtool

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1993 2004
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was thinking of putting new carpet in too, but I think I'm gonna go with some shag lol
As a positive the wrinkles wouldn't be as noticeable :icon_rofl:

_BEYONDER_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
just a thaught, have you layed carpet or do you know a carpet layer? Reason i ask is you may be able to cut around the tranny tunnel on your main drop. and cut a second piece to go over the tranny tunnel. Use seaming tape,etc. Most seams done in a house are invisible, I doubt you'd notice a seam there. If you have no experience, any how to book should explain good enough to get you by. Doing this would eliminate most if not all wrinkles.

Something else you may want to consider, is make a fiberglass pan for your cab, take your carpet to a shop, i'd assume any custom apholstery shop would be able to vacuum fit the new carpet to the fiberglass mold, that might cost you around 100.00 or so.....could end up being the same as getting a premolded piece to. just a thaught tho...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals