• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Camera (black Friday deal at local camera store)

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Sooo I have always liked photography, bu tup until now my best phone was the one on my Note 10+ phone.

Got me a Canon EOS Rebel T7 with two lenses, an 18-55mm and a 75-300mm lens. a case was included and a neck strap. All for 549 bucks. I have seen better deals with more stuff included on Amazon, but all of them are 3rd party vendors and I have heard so much negative stuff on those concerning warranties and what not that I decided to go local. Best Buy had a similar set for a bit less, but I would rather my $$ go to a local store than a big box store.

I slapped a 128gb SD card in it and am now looking at some other accessories. thinking about a regular non telescopic wide angle lens and asked for a camera harness instead of the neckstrap that came with it.

that is the harness I am looking at. I like the idea of having two hands free when moving or climbing and the camera not swinging around and hitting things.

some things in the future, a tripod, and a really long range lens.

So, any tips tricks for those that have a nice DSLR camera?

@ericbphoto what is your setup? any suggestions for good everyday shooting lens? I would imagine that the 18-55 will do fairly well, but curious as to what else is out there.

This is where I got mine: https://robertscamera.com/

In addition to new, they do have a nice selection of used, and even a shelf full of broken camera's and lens. (all 5 bucks each) so if you need parts or may even be able to fix them yourself. there was a nice long range lens for 5 bucks that looked ok when looking through it but not sure what was wrong or if it would fit my camera....

Here is what i got:

20221125_215856.jpg
20221125_162600.jpg

AJ

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
Nice camera, it will do you well
I have the EOS Rebel XT and love it

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Nice! That 18-55mm lens is actually a very good all-around lens. That plus your 75-300 should do you well.

I have found B&H Photo to be one of the best places to order gear.

If you start to center in on a particular type of photography you like the most, like landscape or portraits or wildlife, you may want to get some better lenses for specific tasks. But they get pricey. A lot of the better lenses will have a lower “f stop” number. This indicates how wide the aperture can open and how much light can come through the lens. These are sometimes referred to as “fast” lenses and they help you take better pictures in low light conditions.

But mostly just practice and have fun.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I’ve got a Sony Alpha series mirrorless (I think it’s an a6000). Sony has been pushing mirrorless for years now, they take pretty much the same quality pics as DSLR with a very slightly smaller frame. You’re going to love the quality and actual distance you can take a good pic from. It’s a whole different animal vs your phone camera.
I took this pic with a 55-210 lens on Liberty Island:
14523A41-4573-4942-88BF-8A541214B4ED.jpeg

That flag is right next to the Statue of Liberty on Liberty Island (probably about 30 yards from me) and the Freedom Tower is in Manhattan (about 2 miles away). I’m not a great photographer, but a good camera really makes up for it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals