• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new B2 owner

mylittleblackbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Pontiac
Engine Size
4.6L 3.8L 2.8L
Well, I've scored a free 84 Bronco 2, 5 speed, came with the 2150 carb on it. Still using the stock ignition system though. I've been reading that the duraspark system is the way to go, but I can't seem to find anyone giving me good solid benefits to the conversion. I can pick up a distributor and control box from the local yard for $55, but before I dump money into it, I want to know why.

This thing has been sitting for 10 years under a tree, has lichen growing on the doors, and the mice made a meal of a lot of the wiring. I've got to get the fuel line unplugged and bolt the carb back on(it was crudded up from E10 and sitting forever). Has good oil pressure, no coolant in the oil.

Any thoughts, tips, tricks, suggestions are welcome. It's generally going to be a DD, but I wouldn't mind a few upgrades here and there should I want to get muddy.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds kinda rough, you should just give it to me.Lol

Find a gen 1 explorer with a 5 spd and swap dash and all. Lots of power, and would make it a very dependable little wheeler.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The reason why is the computer on those models was overworked with all the sensors, solenoids, and the parts are hard to find and expensive. Even if you find all the parts chances are it will never work correct. If you dont have to pass emissions duraspark is the only way to go. You eliminate 95 % of the wires and vacuum lines, cap off the EGR and you can bring those little engines to life. Unless you get real lucky and all the smog crap is working I doubt it tho.

mylittleblackbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Pontiac
Engine Size
4.6L 3.8L 2.8L
Most of the ECU was bypassed a long time ago by the previous owner(he's a carb guy). EGR is blocked off, O2's are non-functioning. No emissions tests to pass here. The only functioning emissions equipment is the cat based on the odor from when I was trying to prime it.

Now I'm trying to dig up information so I know what exactly I'm dealing with. Axles, gears, all that jazz. I hope to drive it home in the next week or so when I have time and brush the rust off the bottom and cover it in por15.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If it has the TFI dizzy it is not advancing the timing you can get the dizzy and module for a little over $100 eliminate all the wires except alternator oil pressure and water temp. The only vacuum you need is advance on the dizzy to manifold vacuum. You can possibly find the parts out of a late 70s pinto or mustang II. Right now it is running on fixed or base timing.

mylittleblackbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Pontiac
Engine Size
4.6L 3.8L 2.8L
Local junkyard has both for $55 off a 77 pinto. I'll be taking advantage of that I suppose. Had a "dammit" moment, though. Took the carb apart and lost the check ball that goes under the venturi assembly. Pretty sure I have another somewhere...

mylittleblackbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Pontiac
Engine Size
4.6L 3.8L 2.8L
Anyone know a good source for a rebuild kit for a Motorcraft 2150 D6TE-RA?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
D6 says it is a 1976 carb you can try ebay you need to match the upper gasket and when you pull it apart lay all the parts and gaskets out on a bench. The kit will have alot of extra parts just use the ones you need for your carb.

mylittleblackbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Pontiac
Engine Size
4.6L 3.8L 2.8L
Whoa! You even dug up a link for me. Thank you, much! It is appreciated.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Your gonna need a spacer for that carb felpro # 60529 ($20) for the vacuum leaks it will have on the base and I took some 180 grit sandpaper and glued it to a flat piece of plywood to surface the base of the carb. The ears always get bent down a little with time making it hard to get a good seal on the base carefully sand it flat and just snug it down in steps do not over tighten the carb nuts.

mylittleblackbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Pontiac
Engine Size
4.6L 3.8L 2.8L
The 2150 I have came off of the B2. Previous owner put it on and apparently used the correct spacer as it did not have a vac leak prior to my removing the carb. I drove once a long time ago before it was parked. Ran pretty good at the time. Just gotta clean everything up and in theory, it will run well(enough) again.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If it is hold fluids and has good oil pressure work it. Is there a vacuum advance on the dizzy it is more than likely durasparked. some pics of the engine would be good. Have you ever rebuilt a carb.

mylittleblackbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Pontiac
Engine Size
4.6L 3.8L 2.8L
The only carbs I've rebuilt were for one or two cylinder engines. I did take this one apart, it's incredibly simple, just a bigger version of the smaller carbs. I don't know the names of everything, but I understand the general concepts of what it takes to make it work. I've been playing with engines for the last 20 years or so, but as with anything, I'm still learning.

I did read through the rebuild guide(will read it again so I might remember more of it). Can never learn too much about these things. It's not a vacuum advance setup at present. Most certainly not a duraspark ignition.

I'll try to get back out to it this weekend and see if I can drive it home. It's currently about 20 miles away from home.

Thank you for your continued advice!

Fun fact regarding this carb. One throttle plate is missing a screw. Looks like it's been gone for a while. I can only assume it didn't go into the engine, and if it did, it didn't kill it. Still haven't found the checkball.... makes me wonder if one comes in the rebuild kit. I can't seem to see one in the picture, but the 2100 rebuild kits and a couple of the 2150 rebuild kits come with them. Some of those parts appear different from what I have. Guess I'll see what it comes with one way or the other.

I decided I'd call Mike just to be sure. He seems like a good guy to deal with. Said it has everything I need. Good 'nuff for me.

And the kit is in the mail.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals