• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new and old sensors

smilinjack

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
408C
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2"
Tire Size
315 /35- 17
My credo
Always bite off more than you can chew!! :)
Hi All. I've finally got a glimpse of the goal line on my Cleveland project. I'm starting to terminate some final wiring and I have a question.
I have rewired the entire vehicle saving only the original dashboard wiring, the i/c fuse box, and the power distribution box under hood. So far, so good!
I have added new gauges (autometer Z series, all electric) including oil pressure and water temp.
Question is : does anybody know if I can connect both the new gauge wiring and the existing dash gauge wiring to the same (water temp that is) sensor without causing some sort of issue that might cause a faulty signal?? I used a tee for a dual pick up on the oil pressure but don't have the room to do that with the water temp. Thanks

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It would be a long shot that the sender would be compatible with both temp gauges.

I bought a hose adaptor that has a bung for the second sender for my aftermarket gauge. Beware that some don't have a ground lug if your sender is a single wire. If it's a two wire sender you probably don't need to ground the adaptor.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

That may not be the correct size for your hose...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

Just install another temp sender for the new temp gauge on the heater hose that's on the intake, its the OUT to heater hose
Looks like this: https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/atm-2280_iu_ml.jpg
As said by Uncle Gump the metal bung must be grounded for sender to work
Put it as close to engine outlet as practical<<< practical, not possible, lol, not a big deal

Curious about oil pressure sender and gauge, the 1995 dash gauge was setup to only work with an oil pressure switch, on or off switch
Some of the dashes could be converted to use a real sender but not sure on the 1995, you need to bypass a resistor on the back of the cluster, in the mid 1990's Ford moved that resistor to inside the gauge so it couldn't be bypassed

smilinjack

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
408C
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2"
Tire Size
315 /35- 17
My credo
Always bite off more than you can chew!! :)
Thanks guys. Right now I've got both new and oem 'single' wires to the same sensor but ran an xtra wire in case I'll need to add that xtra sensor. According to the factory wiring schematic they will ground thru the pipe threads. The only reason I even bothered to include the oem hook ups is because I just wanted the dash fully functioning. Very few things make me crazier than gauges that aren't working!! :LOL:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, one wire senders were grounded by their theads, if they were installed in a metal part of the engine

The comments regarding grounds was if a sender was installed on a rubber hose, so no ground even if bung is metal

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals