• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Air Compressor

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Finally broke down and bought a suitable air compressor for the shop. I went with the 3.7 HP 220v 60 gallon Kobalt compressor. Ran me $499 from Lowe's. Comes with a 3 year warranty with on-site repair. This IS a rebadged Campbell Hausfeld. The shipping label on the box came directly from them to Lowe's. They have recently upgraded their motors from AO Smith to Marathon (the same ones as the Ingersoll Rand compressors have) 100% cast iron compressor is a major plus with these. Also went with the Campbell Hausfeld Regulator/Filter/Oiler system. Tractor Supply sells these for $140. I bought the same exact one on Amazon for $69 shipped. I also upgraded all of my air fittings to 3/8". The shop I work for has them set up this way and you NEVER break the nipples off like the 1/4" ones. Once I get it hooked up and running, I will update this.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looks like a good start. I just finished building a frankenpressor, by the time I was done I have as much into it as you. But spread over a few years. I timed mine and am getting about 10 cfm. What's yours rated at?

Richard

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Now you get a compressor.

Haha, no really, super jealous.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its funny, I was looking to buy the SAME exact air compressor. I think you have sold me!

Looks great btw!

Chris_North

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Very nice. I always look at those in Lowes when I pass by them, but I have no place for it and little use for it. What else are your plans?

TBH I don't see a lot of use for big air systems. I know the advantages, especially for an auto shop, but I can't justify it for myself. I set up a decent small comp for my dad's garage (forget exactly what it is and never bothered to figure CFMs, but it is quick to fill and recover) but we've only used it to fill tires and blow off dust. Everything else is electric and so is also much more portable.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice!

I have my tax returns and been looking. :)

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like a good start. I just finished building a frankenpressor, by the time I was done I have as much into it as you. But spread over a few years. I timed mine and am getting about 10 cfm. What's yours rated at?

11 cfm at 90 PSI. It's more than enough to run the air tools I use

Richard
Very nice. I always look at those in Lowes when I pass by them, but I have no place for it and little use for it. What else are your plans?

TBH I don't see a lot of use for big air systems. I know the advantages, especially for an auto shop, but I can't justify it for myself. I set up a decent small comp for my dad's garage (forget exactly what it is and never bothered to figure CFMs, but it is quick to fill and recover) but we've only used it to fill tires and blow off dust. Everything else is electric and so is also much more portable.
I do a LOT of fabrication jobs and constantly use die grinders, impact guns, air chisels, etc. I couldn't afford the down time waiting for air pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris_North

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I understand if you're going to run air tools you need a big enough system to accommodate. Like I said for a bigger professional shop I can see the advantage of air tools. As I understand it they are typically a little lighter. have better duty cycles, and last longer when properly maintained. For me electric tools have been the way to go. The electric angle grinder gets pretty hot after 20 minutes of nearly continuous use, but it didn't cost a lot more than a decent air one and I can use it anywhere there's electricity. Same thing with the impact gun. It is way bigger than a similarly powered air tool, also more expensive, but I can take it anywhere. Plus if a compressor fails then all tools are unusable until repaired.

Cordless tools are my usual go to most of the time anyhow. Maybe since I'm more of a mobile technician than a shop mechanic/fabricator my preferences are different.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I understand if you're going to run air tools you need a big enough system to accommodate. Like I said for a bigger professional shop I can see the advantage of air tools. As I understand it they are typically a little lighter. have better duty cycles, and last longer when properly maintained. For me electric tools have been the way to go. The electric angle grinder gets pretty hot after 20 minutes of nearly continuous use, but it didn't cost a lot more than a decent air one and I can use it anywhere there's electricity. Same thing with the impact gun. It is way bigger than a similarly powered air tool, also more expensive, but I can take it anywhere. Plus if a compressor fails then all tools are unusable until repaired.

Cordless tools are my usual go to most of the time anyhow. Maybe since I'm more of a mobile technician than a shop mechanic/fabricator my preferences are different.

^ Yea, the portability of cordless tools are awesome. My favorite go to tool is still my porter cable 4.5" grinder. I can't afford a plasma so I use the shit out of that thing with cut off wheels.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any updates on the compressor? I'm looking at picking one up. I don't get why anyone would spend $300 for a Craftsman air compressor when you can get this beast for $500.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals