• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New ? about the "Air box mod"

dmanmccann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Ok so the "Air box mod" most have is the mod where you just cut out that plastic and rubber from the piece that connects behind the headlight and remove the snorkel and duct tape or whatever the air box to the headlight piece so that your pulling air from behind the head light correct?

or

Is it the mod where you drill throught the airbox and your fenderwell and secure a pvc pipe through all of it??

First i just removed the snorkel and the headlight piece so the box could breath better....Is this the best option?

Then yesterday i carved out the headlight piece and fashioned a seal between the headlight piece and the air box...is this a better way that just simply removing the snorkel...

also....im gonna try this too, somebody tell me if they have or if it is a smart thing to do...I was gonna leave the airbox the way it is now and cut a hole in the otherside of the airbox and fashion a PVC pipe from it running down in front of the lower valance or the grill for cold air......I dont do any watercrossing through a river, MAKG, so is this a good idea or should i just leave it alone??

4LO 4.O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The factory air box is a cold air intake, you wont get any effect by running it below the bumper.
The mod where you run pvc from the air box trough the fender is a snorkel set up for crossing water and deep mud.
because the factory set up is a cold air unit people do this so as to not hydro lock the motor

Donnie strickland

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
First i just removed the snorkel and the headlight piece so the box could breath better....Is this the best option?
You won't be able to make your airbox "breathe" better than stock. Unless you want to add a snorkel for crossing water -- which you say you don't -- it's best to leave it alone.

dmanmccann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
i do understand the factory is a cold air intake..But the mod im talking about drills through the bottom of the airbox into the fenderwell and you secure a PVC pipe running through it..So how is that a snorkel? Its closer to the ground and its open? I have just seen it done is all and was wondering if anyone has tried it or had an effect from it....

Also i thought the people who have the "Air box mod", has done what i wrote earlier?? Its just for me to get the correct info from the BS....

I just have always liked the saying Factory Sucks...so anyways...

Understood now, thanks for clearing up

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
The mod you're suggesting will give you no power increase. The airbox is not the bottleneck on an RBV engine.

The only reason to mod the airbox is to do a cowl induction or snorkel in order to avoid hydrolock.

Any mods done are likely to reduce power.

dmanmccann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual

OHH alrighty i understand more now....Thanks for the lesson and the money saving!!

4LO 4.O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

Then yesterday i carved out the headlight piece and fashioned a seal between the headlight piece and the air box...is this a better way that just simply removing the snorkel...
That's all you need to do, It wont do any thing power wise but it will sound better.
The K&N filter is an alright choice but the oil used on em could destroy the MAF sensor- It did on mine and several others as well, if i had it to do again i would get a dry filter.

dmanmccann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
really it messed the MAF up? I read an article about a guy who tested all the "Brand" name air filters...Fram, K&N, etc....He came out saying the same thing about the amsoil and the K&N..Found out a damn NAPA one works the best, though the K&N breathts better, the NAPA is safer..He placed like a thin material over all the filters to see how much material passed through the filter...and K&N didnt block they way they say they do....he showed pics and everything...so NAPA (I BEILEVE) came out on top......

Can you just peroidically clean the MAF and itll be ok?

4LO 4.O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You can try cleaning it but it didn't do any good in my case. Once the Oil got on the filiment it was trash. Truck would idle like it only had 5 plugs and cut out at stop lights. $45. for a K&N, $75. for new MAF- coulda got a lifetime of throw away filters.
I would recommend just getting a Fram, It wont destroy anything and it flows as good as any filter

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals