• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new 83 v8 Ranger owner in Massachusetts

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162800
Hi guys!
my name is Corey, big fan of older body styled boxy fords. I have a mildly done up 93 F150, and an 82 econoline that has been custom converted to 4x4.
but ive always had a soft spot for really small, mid 80s rangers with v8 swaps.
ive been searching for years for the perfect truck to do the swap in.
needed to be standard cab, short bed, gen1 body.
needed to either be cheap enough to nab and do my own swap, or already have a swap done.
looks weren't a concern, as I planned on the end result being a kind of haggard looking weekend rat-rod like something you'd see in Mad Max.
a sort of Pickup Truck version of the V8 interceptor as it is in the 2nd and 4th films.

ive been mildly looking as of recent because of a handful of other projects i currently have going, so i had planned on doing a really hard New England search next summer or next fall.

however 2 weeks ago i stumbled on a vehicle that fit all my criteria and then some.
so after a lot of phone calls back and forth with heated negotiations, and a race against other buyers with what had to be the Craziest Car trailering experience ive ever had, I'm now the owner of a 1983 Ford Ranger. standard cab, short bed.

The truck, as it stands right now, has a 5.0HO swap that supposed had had some sort of performance mods done to it before going in (looks like heads, maybe cam), a T5 manual transmission with hurst shifter, 8.8 posi rear end, A-link style traction bars, and 6" wide center line drag wheels up front and 12" wide center line drags in the rear.

currently it needs a new starter, a fuel pump, and a battery to run. breaks are pretty seized up, the interior is in pieces, the wiring looks like a nightmare, and the exterior lacks something to be desired.
but for $1,200 im happy as a clam.
super stoked, and super stoked to join this forum.
i'll be asking Lots of questions!

- corey

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Welcome from SE TN!

More pics of this new toy......looks like you got what you was lookin for.....

Also start a build thread to keep us up on progress..........

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
thanks chvlfrk
i'll start a thread and throw up some pictures next week.
the name of the game on this is going to be "Baby Steps" for me.

- corey

Welcome from SE TN!

More pics of this new toy......looks like you got what you was lookin for.....

Also start a build thread to keep us up on progress..........

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Welcome to the TRS! Always amazes me how some folks jump to buy wheels when the rest of the project is a mess. Good Luck!

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
That was my thought exactly elutheros.
That was the previous owner's big selling point/argument with me. He was claiming that the truck has $1200 worth of wheels and tires on it alone.

I begged to differ

- Corey

Welcome to the TRS! Always amazes me how some folks jump to buy wheels when the rest of the project is a mess. Good Luck!

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Welcome! Look forward to seeing those 'baby steps'.

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
thanks 1qaz!
step 1 is to get it turning itself over.
meaning a new mini starter with built in solenoid, and the wiring that goes along with doing away with the fender mount solenoid, and a battery.

after that step 2 will be making it run.
meaning a 15 gallon fuel cell in the bed, an inline electric fuel pump and filter, dropping the old tank, ripping out the old lines and replumming and rewiring.

I want to have it able to move in the driveway under its own power by the first snowfall. that's my current goal.

- corey

Welcome! Look forward to seeing those 'baby steps'.

chvlfrk

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
To each his own>>>>

thanks 1qaz!
step 1 is to get it turning itself over.
meaning a new mini starter with built in solenoid, and the wiring that goes along with doing away with the fender mount solenoid, and a battery.
after that step 2 will be making it run.
meaning a 15 gallon fuel cell in the bed, an inline electric fuel pump and filter, dropping the old tank, ripping out the old lines and replumming and rewiring.
I want to have it able to move in the driveway under its own power by the first snowfall. that's my current goal.- corey
====================
Yep! Been there done that:icon_twisted:

I like havin the fender mounted solenoid.....easier to bump it when your runnin valves & that kinda stuff.

I ran NEW lines from the fuel cell to the engine compartment, but personally like a "mechanical" fuel pump........if she's turnin over, she's pumpin!:icon_thumby:

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
====================
Yep! Been there done that:icon_twisted:

I like havin the fender mounted solenoid.....easier to bump it when your runnin valves & that kinda stuff.

I ran NEW lines from the fuel cell to the engine compartment, but personally like a "mechanical" fuel pump........if she's turnin over, she's pumpin!:icon_thumby:
very true very true.
other than being able to easily bump start it from under the hood, are there really any advantages to the fender mount solenoid?
ive replaced the fender mount in my 93 F150 about 3 times now, the one in my 82 econoline4x4 twice, and i have a Boston whaler with a built 351 in it that is also on its 3rd starter solenoid. not sure if its just me buying cheap chain-autoparts store solenoids, or what, but i read that the built in ones don't fail as much.
i have the same luck with starter motors to be honest. my 93 f150 is on its 3rd, my econoline has killed more starters than i can count, and the whaler.... salt water and starter motors just never play nice.

i ended up ordering an SVE High-Torque Mini Starter from from LMR.com . they claim (and it appears reviews back up) that these things are a ton more reliable than the standard oem starters, have waaayyy more clearance room for the headers, kick out some more juice, and don't get heat lock up running beside headers (which is something i do get everyonce in a while with my econoline when towing distances).

as for mechanical vs electric fuel pumps, although i am more a fan of mechanical, the truck currently has an electric In-Tank, so i figured it would be easiest to just stick with electric for now. i think i read on some mustang forums that there are some mods that need to be done to even make this engine accept a mechanical pump if it wasnt set up for one originally.

eventually... after i have this thing on the road and running nice for a while, i'll build a carbed 351W for it. because i really am not a fan of tinkering with fuel injection. but for now, this is what is in the truck.

- corey

AzLizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 2.8
Transmission
Automatic

Jeff190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oooooooh I like that!

chvlfrk

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
Oh yah............

Other than being able to easily bump start it from under the hood, are there really any advantages to the fender mount solenoid?
ive replaced the fender mount in my 93 F150 about 3 times now, the one in my 82 econoline4x4 twice, and i have a Boston whaler with a built 351 in it that is also on its 3rd starter solenoid. not sure if its just me buying cheap chain-autoparts store solenoids, or what, but i read that the built in ones don't fail as much.
i have the same luck with starter motors to be honest. my 93 f150 is on its 3rd, my econoline has killed more starters than i can count, and the whaler.... salt water and starter motors just never play nice.
- corey
=======================
From my 40+ years of experience, I don't buy electrical stuff from AutoBone or O'Reilly's.........I buy "lifetime" warranty parts, but don't want to be replacing them for a lifetime!
:icon_twisted:

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :icon_thumby:
I've replaced the fender mount in my 93 F150 about 3 times now, the one in my 82 econoline4x4 twice, and i have a Boston whaler with a built 351 in it that is also on its 3rd starter solenoid. not sure if its just me buying cheap chain-autoparts store solenoids, or what, but i read that the built in ones don't fail as much.
WoW !! I smoked my older model trying to jump start it & hit the fender mount relay w/jumper cable. Never again making that mistake-
I have the same luck with starter motors to be honest. my 93 f150 is on its 3rd, my econoline has killed more starters than i can count, and the whaler.... salt water and starter motors just never play nice.
My Ranger is from is from lower Cape Cod area....Lucky me !

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i can dig this.

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
=======================
From my 40+ years of experience, I don't buy electrical stuff from AutoBone or O'Reilly's.........I buy "lifetime" warranty parts, but don't want to be replacing them for a lifetime!
:icon_twisted:
Yeah. My problem is there is an autozone 1/4 mile from my home. So when a starter in my f150 or van does seize up (every couple of years) or a selenious starts sticking I'm always like "well, I could order an expensive after market unit and wait for it, or I could just go down the street and get the car running in 20 minutes.". It's just a bad habit I need to break at this point. I'll wait for all kinds of performance parts and upgrades when those things need to be replaced, but I always skimp out on starters and selenoids and occasionally batteries. So I'm trying to not do that with this ranger.

- Corey

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals