• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New 3.0 Flex fuel motor

SilentShado

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 "V" Vin
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 99 ranger with a 3.0 flex fuel motor production date 12/98. I am having great difficulty trying to locate an engine to fit. I found a 3.0 motor to purchase but 1 it is not a flex fuel and 2 it is from a 2001. I was wondering if I do not run flex fuel can I just drop any 3.0 motor in and still be compatable with my computer and sensor hook ups?

Thanks

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the computer and fuel system are completely different and will need to be swapped from a non-ffv truck.

SilentShado

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 "V" Vin
Transmission
Automatic
I still have all the parts from my old engine that seised up, fuel injection, computer ect. If I get a 2001 engine and swap the parts from my old engine to the new one I should be ok correct. My next question is if I do not run the E 85 fuel in a non flex fuel motor that i can purchase I should have no problem with the computer or fuel system correct??

Thanks, all and any help is greatly appreciated as i can get a great motor and trans for a great deal but it is not a flex fuel or from a 99

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you can "convert" a non-ffv 3.0 into a ffv 3.0 using the fuel system (inlcuding injectors and possibly a few sensors...namely the MAFS) and computer from your ffv truck. you cannot just plop a non-ffv 3.0 into your engine bay and run it on regular gasoline. the injectors, fuel lines, and computer are all matched and have to be kept together (either all non-ffv or all ffv...no mix and match).

i hope this is clear. :icon_twisted:

SilentShado

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 "V" Vin
Transmission
Automatic
Please bear with me as I am not too sure about the whole FFV. Lets say I buy a non FF motor, strip it down to a long block, install all the parts from my old engine on the new one I should be ok?? The only reason that I am asking is that I have heard that you can only put the engine from the correct production date for your vehicle, I guess in 99 there was 2 production runs up to 7/26/99 and after7/27/99

Thanks

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you got it. everything should bolt right up and in this case, you will be able to run E85 again.

the differences between the ffv and non-ffv engines are the fuel lines (made to handle the ethanol in the E85, and has the sensor to tell the computer the ethanol content of the fuel), the injectors (either 19 or 25lb per hour vs the 14lb per hour in the non-ffv), and the computer (to handle the increased injector flow and to change the timing for e85). most likely the MAFS is also different to accommodate the larger injectors. the long block hasnt changed for the vulcan since it came out in '86.

SilentShado

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 "V" Vin
Transmission
Automatic
Do you happen to know why when i am trying to locate an engine everyone needs the production date. I always hear that if I don't get the correct one it will not work

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
most likely because its not a direct swap. they are looking for an engine that already has the proper injectors and MAFS (if included) with it. if you are planning on swapping these from your blown motor, then it wont matter.

SilentShado

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 "V" Vin
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, you have been a great help

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
no prob. let me know how it goes and if you need any help along the way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals