• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New 2007-2011 Ford Ranger Airbag Recall

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
DEARBORN, Mich., March 12, 2021 – Today, Ford Motor Company announced details of two safety recalls in North America.

Ford proceeds with previously announced safety recall for multiple vehicles with certain Takata driver-side front airbag inflators, in accordance with NHTSA’s denial of Ford’s petition
In affected vehicles, the driver-side front airbag inflators were installed as original equipment and contain a calcium sulfate desiccant. Takata determined that desiccated propellant in these inflators may degrade after long-term exposure to high humidity and temperature cycling, which could cause an inflator to rupture during airbag deployment. While this condition could result in serious injury or death, Ford is not aware of any reports of a rupture of an airbag with calcium sulfate desiccant.

Unlike previously recalled Takata airbag parts, these driver-side airbags contain a moisture-absorbing desiccant and perform differently. Ford believes its extensive data demonstrates that a safety recall is not warranted for the driver-side airbag and in August 2017 petitioned the National Highway Traffic Administration. However, the company respects NHTSA’s decision issued in January 2021 to deny Ford’s petition and is proceeding with this recall accordingly.

This action affects approximately 2.6 million vehicles in the U.S. and federal territories, 274,737 in Canada and 46,078 in Mexico. It includes 2006-12 Ford Fusion, 2007-10 Ford Edge, 2007-11 Ford Ranger, 2006-11 Mercury Milan, 2006-12 Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ, and 2007-10 Lincoln MKX vehicles.

Dealers will replace the driver-side front airbag inflator or airbag module. Owner notifications will begin the week of April 1.

The Ford reference number for this recall is 21S12.

Safety recall issued to recover 19 tires over-cured by the supplier
According to defect notification 21T-001 filed by Continental Tire of America, certain tires supplied to Ford and other auto manufacturers may have cured beyond specification. Affected tires may experience a framework break in the sidewall, with sudden air loss, or a belt edge separation that could lead to a partial or full tread/belt loss. While these conditions may increase the risk of a crash, Ford is not aware of any related reports of accident or injury.

This action affects 15,769 vehicles in the U.S. and federal territories, 3,082 in Canada and 138 in Mexico. Covered vehicles include select 2018-20 Ford F-250 and F-350, select 2018 F-150, and select 2019 Ford Escape vehicles.

Dealers will inspect tires and replace those that match the suspect tire list provided by Continental Tire of America. In those cases, dealers will also replace the corresponding tire on the opposite side of the axle. If a pair of tires is replaced, the new tires will be installed/moved to the rear axle.

Owner notifications will begin the week of March 29.

The Ford reference number for this recall is 21S10.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So no worries Florida trucks. Got it. 😜

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yep. It's a mold issue.

Luckily we never have to worry about zombies. They rot in less than a week.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
I thought these Tanaka bags were all fixed.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I thought these Tanaka bags were all fixed.
Nope. The issue was the inflators would rust when exposed to moisture. When that happened they blew up wrong and shot out metal bits at you. On some of these inflators Ford had little drying packs in them (like those things that come inside new shoes that say "do not eat"). Ford insisted that since these certain airbags used the drying packs that they would not suffer the same problems with moisture. There was a long legal fight with the NTSB or whoever, Ford eventually lost the argument and now have to replace all the ones with the drying packs they said were fine.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
NTSB sounds like the spouse everyone has. Argue all you want but eventually you'll just cave in so you don't have to hear the squeaky wheel.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I wonder if Ford would let me cut open my replaced airbag one the new replacement comes in to see if there's any rust on the inside like NTSB says it would. (I keep my windows down during the day at work.)

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I wonder if Ford would let me cut open my replaced airbag one the new replacement comes in to see if there's any rust on the inside like NTSB says it would. (I keep my windows down during the day at work.)
No. And you don't quite understand the issue. The airbag is fine. Its the piece that goes boom. They don't touch the actual airbag during the recall, only the little bomb that makes it work. Tiny explosive gizmo that blows up the bag. 99% of them are probably fine. This was a recall from more than a decade ago...

Last edited:

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
just how long can they go back for a recall? youd think at some point it would just get dropped. Who knows if a air bag would even work at all after 10 years?

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Did they ever fix those seats for mites on the Model T?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
just how long can they go back for a recall? youd think at some point it would just get dropped. Who knows if a air bag would even work at all after 10 years?
If your airbag fails on a 10 year old car. You gonna be a millionaire.... i don't know of any line they have drawn yet as far as airbags or seatbelts age.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Safety recalls never expire. The problem wasn't with rust, the inflator(which used to be called the ignitor) uses ammonium nitrate which degrades and gets more volatile after years of exposure to moisture. The first person killed by a Takata airbag was in a Honda in 2001, the car was in a ditch with minimal damage, a deployed airbag, and a dead driver. The cops thought someone had stabbed her in the neck and rolled the car down the bank and were investigating it as a murder until the autopsy found air bag shrapnel in her neck. By 2004 Honda had evidence of several deaths. They announced a recall in 2014 when NHTSA forced them to do it. Being generous, Ford or GM would have been ordered to initiate a recall in 2004.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I wonder when they are going to do a recall on the curtain airbags in the seats. It seems pretty much all the air bags are getting recalled over time by pretty much every manufacturer. IN any case, they already did the passenger bag on the 2011. I figured it was only a matter of time before the went for the driver's side. I'll wait for the letter.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals