• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New 2.3

Norton01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm thinking of purchasing a new Ranger with the 2.3L. I had an 89 years back with 2.3. It was a little weak, but ran and ran.
I don't really do any aftermarket stuff, so I was wondering how the motor is.....is it strong for a 4 cyl? Any durability issues? The one i'm looking at has 4.10 gears....don't know if that makes a difference? How about fuel economy. I'm trying to decide b/w the 2.3 and the 3.0 V6. So far the 2.3 seems to be a better value.

Also, anyone have any hauling issues with this motor?
Thanks everyone for your help. Great site.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
We have a 2002 Ranger at work with the new 2.3. It's a great engine. It's very peppy and has plenty of power, even with an automatic. The one I drive has over 205,000 miles and it still runs beautifully. If I didn't need 4wd, I would've bought a truck with one of these instead. I never tried to calculate the gas mileage of it, but everyone that owns one says they get about mid-20s around town and high 20s-low 30s on the highway! It is literally the most fuel-efficient pickup on the market right now.

addiman09

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.3 Liter DOHC 5spd
Transmission
Manual
i have an 03 2.3 L 4 cylinder, and its great, mines standard, and it gets around 30mpg if your driving it normal (shifting around 3000rpms) its a great choice, it hauls anything that i need to and it is zippy, its a great choice, i recommend it

Ric

...RedShred
U.S. Military - Veteran
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'll always recommend a 2.3L Ranger. Unless you'll be hauling heavy stuff all the time with it.
They haul normal stuff a small pickup carries and does it with a savings at the pump. it should also be mentioned that with the manual transmission, theyre pretty peppy. It's much more fun to drive than the 3.0 manual I had.

Yettoblaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
...it should also be mentioned that with the manual transmission, theyre pretty peppy...

My '08 2.3L with the auto 5 speed overdrive (made in France) is peppier than my old '88 with the manual. The new one has 4.10 to 1 rear end. Also manages 25mpg.:icon_thumby:

evil20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well i have an 04 2.3 reg cab, 5spd, hella good gas millag 25 in town, 28-29 hwy, but its time for service so after that it will do a lot better, it has plenty of power for what it is still can tow good ive towed some shit.

08RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my 2.3 has good power for 4 cylinder and averages about 28 mpg:icon_thumby:

Parsonator73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
yeah, i have an ' 01 2.3L manual and it does great. plenty of power and i get about 28mpg. i recommend it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals