• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Never received title

xlranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xl
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
ford 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
40s
From everything I've read, it's possible to do but there is going to be a lot of work, time, and frustration involved in getting it done. They person you bought the truck off of basically did you dirty.
From what I've gathered so far I would say your right. And yes he did I wish I had known better then

xlranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xl
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
ford 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
40s
You live in a different state than the title, so that is going to make it very difficult. I was in this situation one time in Va, but the car was titled in Va. The guy I was buying it from had a garage (had a car repair business license) and he went to the DMV and requested a mechanics lien. The DMV sent a letter to the last known registered title holder, and they had 30 days to respond. If they do not respond in 30 days, the garage goes to the DMV and gets the title in their name and then they can sell it. In my case, it was a old 57 chevy 2 dr hardtop, and hadn't been registered since the 60's. The guy did show up, but was too late and even offered the garage guy more money, but he kept his word and sold it to me, the other guy had gone past the 30 day limit.

If you know any guys with a garage business, they may be able to help you out.
I have heard of this being done before and looked into it but I can't seem to find anyone around me to do it without some documentation

xlranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xl
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
ford 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
40s
I don't know if this is a site violation or not .....please remove if it is

The on-line title companies do work. I have used them several times.
I bought a Japanese mini truck from over seas they don't come with titles but the guy told me to do one of these to obtain one basically they do a background check on the vin and idk what else but the take a gamble on a 475 title was a little nerve racking for me so I never did it maybe you can fill me in on your experience

xlranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xl
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
ford 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
40s
I had good results on my last motorcycle with one of the online title companies.
What was your situation and company/ process to get one

xlranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xl
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
ford 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
40s
Research the heck out of it but I have heard of people going thru Vermont to get plates/title.

No idea on the precise legality and ease of process.
I researched this and It could go 2 ways I either need a bill of sale which I don't have after 6 yrs or would have to have the vehicle taken there for them to visibly see it but that can't happen due to the 100s of pieces haha. I'm really hoping it not being registered since 13 the state boot it out of the system and I can get a new title issued in my name kinda play stupid like I need a lost title replacement

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I researched this and It could go 2 ways I either need a bill of sale which I don't have after 6 yrs or would have to have the vehicle taken there for them to visibly see it but that can't happen due to the 100s of pieces haha. I'm really hoping it not being registered since 13 the state boot it out of the system and I can get a new title issued in my name kinda play stupid like I need a lost title replacement
I don't see that working but I wish you the best of luck.

IMO the only way to get it would be to hunt down the previous owner and get a bill of sale. Without that it is dead in the water.

xlranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xl
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
ford 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
40s
Here's what I would do. I would go back to the DMV in the state where it was last registered. Due to privacy laws, they probably can't give you the name of the person it was registered to, but they may be able to contact him on your behalf and have him get in touch with you.

Or, you could call your local police department and report an abandoned vehicle. They'll then run the VIN to find the prior owner, contact him regarding removal, and when he comes to "remove" the truck, offer to buy it from him again.
I do own a business and as a business owner I can request title info on an abandon vehicle but if somehow they realize I lied its possible jail time and I'm klosterphobic or how ever it's spelled and I wouldn't do good in a jail cell hence the big hassle of being an honest citizen lol. I have a cop buddy maybe I can get him to run it for me

xlranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xl
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
ford 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
40s
I don't see that working but I wish you the best of luck.

IMO the only way to get it would be to hunt down the previous owner and get a bill of sale. Without that it is dead in the water.
That's the way it's kind of looking

gw204

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000 SE
Transmission
Manual
Go to a body shop that specializes in classic trucks and ask them how they handle cab swaps.

xlranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xl
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
ford 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
40s
Update...... I was lucky to be able to get ahold of the title holder however he is not the guy that sold me the truck he sold it to the guy I bought it from and that guy never had it put in his name so I asked if he would send for a lost and transfer to me but he is leery which I totally get but he is willing to work with me so what are my options at this point I'm in pa they are in ohio so if anyone knows how ohio works please chime in. I got on the ohio bmv and I can do the send a letter to to title holder as his abandon vehicle is on my property and he said he would rather go that route. But what are the outcomes by going this route?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Update...... I was lucky to be able to get ahold of the title holder however he is not the guy that sold me the truck he sold it to the guy I bought it from and that guy never had it put in his name so I asked if he would send for a lost and transfer to me but he is leery which I totally get but he is willing to work with me so what are my options at this point I'm in pa they are in ohio so if anyone knows how ohio works please chime in. I got on the ohio bmv and I can do the send a letter to to title holder as his abandon vehicle is on my property and he said he would rather go that route. But what are the outcomes by going this route?
You have already talked to the guy, so if he is in agreement with the abandoned vehicle route I would do that. The only bad outcome for you going this route is if he changes his mind and comes for the cab and wants it back. That is really your only problem, and has been your only probem from the beginning. It's not your cab, it's the guy's whose name that it was last titled in cab. But it's really your best choice, there is just that slight risk he wants it back. If he comes to get it, take a sawzall and cut out what you want and then let him have it.

xlranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xl
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
ford 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
40s
I need the whole thing haha it's in amazing condition I don't thing I should have an issue with him. Will they issue a certificate or a title and will it be a salvage title or reconstructed

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I need the whole thing haha it's in amazing condition I don't thing I should have an issue with him. Will they issue a certificate or a title and will it be a salvage title or reconstructed
This is a ownership thing I would think. So it should be clear I would assume. They have no idea what the truck looks like, and if it has or hasn't been in a accident. They can assume it's been abandoned and sitting in a lot for years. But for all they know it's still all together and ready to put back on the road with a little work. Work through the procedure and see what happens.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Hopefully he would be able to work with you without trying to get the truck back. The good thing for you is that your frame should still have your vin number stamped in it. I would definitely offer him a bit of $$ for his assistance in helping you get a title. I imagine that one or two Ben Franklins would motivate him to give you the letter.

It's not as if you are restoring a Boss 429 Mustang or Shelby Cobra, its a mid 80's Ranger. Chances are if he sold the stuff to begin with, he is not that attached to it.

Are you going to use the VIN number off of the cab, or the VIN number off of your original truck to register the truck?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The one on the cab is most visible and would be the one to use if he does get the title. No one looks at the frame number, most people don't even know where it is and it can be hard to see if they don't stamp it very well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals