• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

never changed manual tranny oil, help

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I need some help changing the oil of a tranny from 1995 5 speed 2wd ranger. Ive never done this before. I believe it needs oil in there cause when i removed the rubber plug and stuck my finger in there it was dry. So do i just drain the oil from the plug and just fill it from the hole where the rubber plug is or do i have to do it from the small fill plug? Any help would be apreciated

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
When you say "rubber plug" do you mean the big D-shaped one near the front of the trans? There isn't supposed to be oil in there, that is a clutch inspection plug.

There is a big bolt at the very bottom about half way back, a few inches above that is another bolt. That bolt is where you check the trans fluid level.

Now, if you want to change the fluid, which wouldn't be a bad idea for a 95, remove both bolts and the shifter. Take the top one out first.

Then put the lower one back in when it is done draining, and add Dex/Merc ATF through the shifter hole until it runs out the upper bolt hole. When it runs out that hole, it is full and you can put everything back together.

They usually take 5 to 6 quarts.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah its the D-shape rubber thing...its sounds easy but to take the shifter out...ima take to a friend of mine to take the shifter out...thanks for the help i appreciate it :icon_cheers:

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
15/16 box-ended wrench
Phillips #2 screwdriver
17mm gearwrench
T30 torx bit

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Shifter is easy to take out. Pull hard on the shifter ball so it pops off, pull the 4 corner screws out of the plastic ring at the bottom, the pull the boot off, then you take the three torx screws out.

Putting it back in is the hard part. Make sure it is in neutral before you pop the shifter out.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you dont go the shifter route the plugs are on the drivers side and marked drain/fill. I just buy the gallon jug of fluid and use the little screw on plastic pump to fill it, only takes a couple min. to pump it in.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Cool...thanks for the info, now i have an idea on how to do it

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Shifter is easy to take out. Pull hard on the shifter ball so it pops off, pull the 4 corner screws out of the plastic ring at the bottom, the pull the boot off, then you take the three torx screws out.

Putting it back in is the hard part. Make sure it is in neutral before you pop the shifter out.
Why would you do that!

Take the screws out, pull the bezel and the boot up, undo the pinch bolt. Pull the whole thing out in one piece.

Then you don't have a knob that constantly pulls off, or a boot that won't stay attached to the bezel.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is what I use most of the time for trannies, diffies, transfer cases ect. Most parts store have them as do marine shops for lower end lube. I use the generic ones that fit all reg gallon jugs though, this pic was just a representaion of what i was talking about.

http://www.harborfreight.com/sta-lube-gear-fluid-oil-pump-40714.html

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Why would you do that!

Take the screws out, pull the bezel and the boot up, undo the pinch bolt. Pull the whole thing out in one piece.

Then you don't have a knob that constantly pulls off, or a boot that won't stay attached to the bezel.
Well I never told him to take the boot off the bezel, if you just undo the screws they will come up as one piece.

I have just always taken the ball off, I just put it back on with a dab of RTV, they still come off when I want them too, but stay put unless I really try.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well I never told him to take the boot off the bezel, if you just undo the screws they will come up as one piece.

I have just always taken the ball off, I just put it back on with a dab of RTV, they still come off when I want them too, but stay put unless I really try.
I'm just saying, I used to do it that way, until my uncle (Ford master transmission tech) said the same thing to me.

You can't tell me once you glued it back on, that it never pulled off at least once during a hard 2nd or 4th gear shift...

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You can't tell me once you glued it back on, that it never pulled off at least once during a hard 2nd or 4th gear shift...
Sure I can. I epoxied the one back to the shifter for my FM145. That thing was still attached when I lost (reads "wife threw out) the shifter.

I put the one in my B2 back on with grey RTV. It came off really really easy for about an hour (my BIL was driving when I glued that one) and hasn't come off since. That was about 5 months ago.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, to each his own. I just don't see the point in going through the trouble. It just to easy to skip that step.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I just use one of those fluid pumps you get at Autozone or wherever for about $8 or $9. Though you do have to get a length of hose to put on the end and hold the pump in the bottle with your hand (they apparently don't sell one that fits the 1-quart bottles directly), it's still seems a lot easier than pulling the shifter off.

They usually take 5 to 6 quarts.
Pints, not quarts.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just use one of those fluid pumps you get at Autozone or wherever for about $8 or $9. Though you do have to get a length of hose to put on the end and hold the pump in the bottle with your hand (they apparently don't sell one that fits the 1-quart bottles directly), it's still seems a lot easier than pulling the shifter off.

Pints, not quarts.
Yea this looks like what i have too.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Autotec-Gallon-hand-pump/_/N-26fv?itemIdentifier=940782_0_0_&CJPID=4003003&cmpid=cj

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals