• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Never buying a vehicle from gm.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
ya but when ford wants 5 grand more for the same truck im inclind to favor the buyin at gm

ya i've had my fair share of ball busters dealing private but i was just disappointed with the dealership.
and i already hated gm but damn that was a good deal
You answered your own question. You obviously knew the truck was a good deal...as you say the Ford dealer wanted 5K more for a similar truck. They made you a deal on the fees and taxes to get you at 10K. They were then asked by you to pretty much lose another 2K to repair a truck you yourself can't even touch for less thank 6K more than that at another dealer.

Of course, some regular Joe walks in, pays full boat without asking them to take a hit on repairs.

Unfortunately this world revolves around money... As the saying goes, Money talks, bullshit walks.

Just wasn't meant to be.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This busts me up.

You think you are making Great Wall of China decisions on tiny events.

GM sucks because they sold a Ford out from under me.

Dealerships, therefore, suck.

Here's my advice: buy a new Honda. The dealership may suck, or may be great. You'll never know. 5 years and 70,000 miles later, you'll have forgetten which dealership you bought it from.

Oh, wait a minute...the first one was 11 years and 160,000 miles ago. Still not even a burned out lightbulb to bitch about.

The Ridgeline isn't a truck--that's something we can pretend we're mad about.

My BII skids logs. Almost nothings works except the drivetrain, but the parts I care about are as sturdy as commercial equipment.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ha! Funny you mention that. I was going to buy a front axle for my truck with a locker in it from a guy on a different forum. Messaged back and forth where we were going to meet ect. and at 1am got a text from him basically telling me he wasn't going to meet me because the axle was still under his truck and it wasn't a priority to him. Shitty thing is, he has it FOR SALE in a thread with a whole bunch of other shit and I messaged him a week before we agreed to meet. The other thing that got me was he told me to message him if I was serious about buying it. He obviously wasn't serious about buying it.
Yeah I saw that thread... he sold it to me... under the table...:thefinger:

Jk thats really gay.

As for the dealership if you didn't put a hold on itor whatever they still have the right to sell it really... I avoid dealerships for many reasons, hard to deal with and the main goal of the staff is to make you feel like you got a deal and sell you a car TODAY! Also they are usually way over priced compared to a private seller cause they are out for money not because they are moving and can't take it. And thirdly you talk with the Previous Owner about all that has been done with the truck/car ect and accidents and stuff where as a dealer just has like the car facts and stuff..

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I saw that thread... he sold it to me... under the table...:thefinger:

Jk thats really gay.
You can buy it now, he sent me a message yesterday saying he finally pulled it out of the truck. :icon_rofl:

Tdbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You answered your own question. You obviously knew the truck was a good deal...as you say the Ford dealer wanted 5K more for a similar truck. They made you a deal on the fees and taxes to get you at 10K. They were then asked by you to pretty much lose another 2K to repair a truck you yourself can't even touch for less thank 6K more than that at another dealer.

Of course, some regular Joe walks in, pays full boat without asking them to take a hit on repairs.

Unfortunately this world revolves around money... As the saying goes, Money talks, bullshit walks.

Just wasn't meant to be.

Gotta agree. They are in business to make money, not be benevolent.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Just wasn't meant to be.
no no no you got this all wrong. they were selling a truck with unknown problems. i was there ready to buy at their asking price. i would have bought it immediately but the girl i was dealing with wasnt there.
i left a note saying i would talk to her. (wanted to give her the sale)
came back nrxt day ready to buy.
they sold it.
i was being smart having it checked out. didnt wanna buy a truck that needed 10,000 in repairs.

This busts me up.

You think you are making Great Wall of China decisions on tiny events.

GM sucks because they sold a Ford out from under me.

Dealerships, therefore, suck.

Here's my advice: buy a new Honda. The dealership may suck, or may be great. You'll never know. 5 years and 70,000 miles later, you'll have forgetten which dealership you bought it from.

Oh, wait a minute...the first one was 11 years and 160,000 miles ago. Still not even a burned out lightbulb to bitch about.

The Ridgeline isn't a truck--that's something we can pretend we're mad about.

My BII skids logs. Almost nothings works except the drivetrain, but the parts I care about are as sturdy as commercial equipment.
once again wrong. i test drove a 25,000 dollar truck wen i turnedc 18. tried to buy, but no cosigner and no 8000 down meant no loan. the guy held the truck for 5 days then called said we have another buyer, if u cant find a downpayment or co signer we gotta let it go. i said of course. the guy still calls every few months to tell me about a sweet deal or a big sale.
gm never even called to give me a chance to give a down payment.

Gotta agree. They are in business to make money, not be benevolent.
read above

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ahhh but was your note written in green on recycled Levis and issued by the US Treasury? The person who owns the truck now made sure theirs was and put it on the table... Just sayin :dunno:

Ronv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers S
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I have bought both ways, dealership & private. Depends on the individual people and their principals. Honest people good,great dealshady folks, sometimes good most likely a sour taste in your mouth.

Good Luck on you on going search for a great vehicle.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ahhh but was your note written in green on recycled Levis and issued by the US Treasury? The person who owns the truck now made sure theirs was and put it on the table... Just sayin :dunno:
if i knew they were gona sell it that day i would have put money down i just was tryin to give the girl who i origanly talked to the sale. you sound like i wasn't serious. I WAS READY TO BUY
and they knew that it was ignorance and bad business for them to not call me knowing the hassle i went through (cost me work hours) and had to get people to help me drop it off at inspection pick it up etc, etc.
the least they could have done is called and said, hey, if you want the truck come put a down [ayment on and i would have.
thats what i get for trying to do good business. i could have let some dude sell it to me.
arg.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Should have just paid cash for the truck.... :icon_surprised:

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what isn't clear about I WAS TRYING TO BUY THE TRUCK JUST WANTED TO DO MY BUSINESS WITH THE GIRL WHO SHOWED ME THE TRUCK.
gee.

92ranger2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what isn't clear about I WAS TRYING TO BUY THE TRUCK JUST WANTED TO DO MY BUSINESS WITH THE GIRL WHO SHOWED ME THE TRUCK.
gee.
yeah yeah we heard you the first time, you don't have to shout. :icon_thumby:

It's clear that you had a bad experience with a dealership. Welcome to the automotive world! Dealerships will screw you every chance that they get, whether it's buying a car, buying a part, buying repairs...etc. Some are worse than others, but they all have the same intentions. People refer to them as "stealerships" for a reason.

If you were hoping to rally an anti GM thread, a simple task on a Ford based fan site, you have obviously failed. As many others have pointed out, GM is not to blame here. You, like so many others out there, were screwed by a dealership. I could go on for many pages with my own rant about my bad experiences with dealerships, the worst by far being the local Ford dealership.

Even in private party dealings I've still had vehicles bought out from under me. You need to act fast and do so with money. Money talks. When I purchase a vehicle from a private party(I avoid dealerships like the plague), I pretty much put life on hold and focus on the dealings of the purchase.

It's unfortunate that they sold that truck out from under you, but stuff like that happens every day at dealerships around the country. You are not unique in your experience.

Good luck with finding another truck. There are plenty out there. :icon_thumby:

Tdbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
no no no you got this all wrong. they were selling a truck with unknown problems. i was there ready to buy at their asking price. i would have bought it immediately but the girl i was dealing with wasnt there.
i left a note saying i would talk to her. (wanted to give her the sale)
came back nrxt day ready to buy.
they sold it.
i was being smart having it checked out. didnt wanna buy a truck that needed 10,000 in repairs.

once again wrong. i test drove a 25,000 dollar truck wen i turnedc 18. tried to buy, but no cosigner and no 8000 down meant no loan. the guy held the truck for 5 days then called said we have another buyer, if u cant find a downpayment or co signer we gotta let it go. i said of course. the guy still calls every few months to tell me about a sweet deal or a big sale.
gm never even called to give me a chance to give a down payment.

read above
I "read above" and not sure what that has to do with anything. If you would have walked back in and said " I want to buy the truck," they would have sold it to you. If you would have made it clear that you were working with whomever, I'm sure that either whomever would have been credited for the sale or they would have facilitated contact with whomever if it meant a sale. In regards to sales calls every few months, I bought a new 2006 Odyssey for my wife to drive 4 years ago and still have Honda salespeople from Maryland to Illinois e-mailing me on a regular basis.
This kind of reminds me of a story when I sold my 1995 Ranger Supercab in 2004. Put it in my front yard and priced it $500 under book at that time @ $2800. Five minutes later, some guy comes in gives me the bla zay bla bla about what a great truck it is and offers me $500. After I told him that I would turn it into a 4 cyl flowerpot before I would sell it for $500, he asked me to hold it until he could make a decision. I told him I would hold it until someone put an adequate amount of cash money in my hand. Did not hear from him until six weeks later (I sold the truck a month before.) He knocks on the door and tells me he wants to buy the truck. Does that mean that because he put "dibs" on it that my world is supposed to stop until he makes a decision? Should I have turned down an opportunity to sell because he put "dibs" on it? They are a business. They have multiple salespeople that do not make money unless they sell vehicles. If you wanted the vehicle that bad, you should have had the salesperson draw up a contract saying that you would purchase the vehicle pending examination by a mechanic of your choice. You may have eaten a deposit if it turned out bad, but any reputable dealer would have done that. I did that once when I bought a used car. Bottom line is you took a chance and lost. It wasn't meant to be. You will find another truck and life goes on.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah yeah we heard you the first time, you don't have to shout. :icon_thumby:

It's clear that you had a bad experience with a dealership. Welcome to the automotive world! Dealerships will screw you every chance that they get, whether it's buying a car, buying a part, buying repairs...etc. Some are worse than others, but they all have the same intentions. People refer to them as "stealerships" for a reason.

If you were hoping to rally an anti GM thread, a simple task on a Ford based fan site, you have obviously failed. As many others have pointed out, GM is not to blame here. You, like so many others out there, were screwed by a dealership. I could go on for many pages with my own rant about my bad experiences with dealerships, the worst by far being the local Ford dealership.

Even in private party dealings I've still had vehicles bought out from under me. You need to act fast and do so with money. Money talks. When I purchase a vehicle from a private party(I avoid dealerships like the plague), I pretty much put life on hold and focus on the dealings of the purchase.

It's unfortunate that they sold that truck out from under you, but stuff like that happens every day at dealerships around the country. You are not unique in your experience.

Good luck with finding another truck. There are plenty out there. :icon_thumby:
i've dealt with a freakin tonne of dealerships and this is the first one to pull any stunt this bad.
and its the biggest dealership (well its part of the "capital automal" the biggest car centre featuring a gm and ford dealership side by side owned by same guy) and that was total bs.
its not acceptable sales practice.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I "read above" and not sure what that has to do with anything. If you would have walked back in and said " I want to buy the truck," they would have sold it to you. If you would have made it clear that you were working with whomever, I'm sure that either whomever would have been credited for the sale or they would have facilitated contact with whomever if it meant a sale. In regards to sales calls every few months, I bought a new 2006 Odyssey for my wife to drive 4 years ago and still have Honda salespeople from Maryland to Illinois e-mailing me on a regular basis.
This kind of reminds me of a story when I sold my 1995 Ranger Supercab in 2004. Put it in my front yard and priced it $500 under book at that time @ $2800. Five minutes later, some guy comes in gives me the bla zay bla bla about what a great truck it is and offers me $500. After I told him that I would turn it into a 4 cyl flowerpot before I would sell it for $500, he asked me to hold it until he could make a decision. I told him I would hold it until someone put an adequate amount of cash money in my hand. Did not hear from him until six weeks later (I sold the truck a month before.) He knocks on the door and tells me he wants to buy the truck. Does that mean that because he put "dibs" on it that my world is supposed to stop until he makes a decision? Should I have turned down an opportunity to sell because he put "dibs" on it? They are a business. They have multiple salespeople that do not make money unless they sell vehicles. If you wanted the vehicle that bad, you should have had the salesperson draw up a contract saying that you would purchase the vehicle pending examination by a mechanic of your choice. You may have eaten a deposit if it turned out bad, but any reputable dealer would have done that. I did that once when I bought a used car. Bottom line is you took a chance and lost. It wasn't meant to be. You will find another truck and life goes on.
if the guy said, yes, ill pay you full price, ill be here tomorrow to pick it up and you sold it to someone else, id call you an a-whole.
your story is completely irrelevant.
and it wasn't really a chance, ive never had a dealership do that before.
you gotta b joking with that contract stuff.
like cmon the least they could have done is called and said hey if you want it come in with a downpayment.
and the sales people make money even when they dont sell vehicles...... they just make more money when they sell vehicles.
either way it was terrible business practice, as soon as i had test drove it i should have been put down as first priority buyer, i was first to be interested i should have been givin first dibs, thats how i do my business.
either way i hate capital gm.
actually the ford dealer when i went to look at trucks the guy just said "i gotta go talk to someone ill be right back." waited for 1/2 hour before getting fed up and leaving.
i've had good experiences with all dealerships except those 2 (and i've delt with at least 25 dealers)

so dont tell me i need a frikkin contract to take a night to think on it. i was doing what i should have an d they were givin crap service.
end of story.
and i hate gm anyways.
they suck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals