• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Neutral safety switch on M50D-R1

Gangwer296

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
How’s it going, this is my first post on this website.
I have been using this site for years looking up information on all my Rangers.
I’ve owned about 6 rangers, 5 of them have been square body’s. Anyways I’ll get to the point.
So I pulled out my transmission on my 1991 4X4 4.0 ranger due to it needing a slave cylinder (Leaking bad) and clutch, it actually got stuck in 5th gear on me 2nd day I drove the truck.
I flipped over the top cover to inspect the trans and everything looks good , goes into gear smooth in all gears and no metal in oil or anything else .
I flipped the top cover over to slide the forks back and forth and they seem to be binding and look like the rails have been rubbing on the sides of the cover causing it to hang up.
I got a top cover from another transmission I have laying around so I put the freeze plugs in where the rubber plugs usually fail and I put the top cover on the transmission.
I noticed this transmission does not have the neutral safety switch.
I have read that not having this switch will not effect anything but then other forums do state that this will effect the idle when truck is in neutral.
Do I need to wire the harness to itself or do I just leave the plug disconnected .?
Also I did notice somone who attempted to do the shifter bushing repair kit failed to install the top bushing above the shift ball , maybe this was more of the cause of my stuck in gear issue ?.
The previous owner also did not provide me with the mechanism that goes on the hubs for locking the hubs for the 4x4. Small nut there on the hubs but the actual switch itself is not there. What will I need to replace the switches ?. He told me they’re unavailable to purchase .

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS, well 1st post at TRS :)

Just leave it unhooked

Explorers did use these on some years
If you have a 2 wire harness that reaches to that switch, it would have 2 green wires usually, you can plug that in if you want

Neutral switch is the clutch pedal switch on your 1991 Ranger 4.0l

Last edited:

Gangwer296

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS, well 1st post at TRS :)

Just leave it unhooked

Explorers did use these on some years
If you have a 2 wire harness that reaches to that switch, it would have2 green wires usually, you can plug that in if you want

Neutral switch is the clutch pedal switch on your 1991 Ranger 4.0l
Thank you !

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Does your truck have cruise control?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals