• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Neutral Safety switch leak on M5OD1?

Pyromancer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Been trying to track down a leak on my M5OD. Seems like the neutral safety switch maybe leaking. I replaced the switch and RTVed the threads hoping it would solve the issue. The new one seems to still be leaking. Is there a seal or O-ring behind this switch that could be the issue?

I thought it might be the Top cover plugs but when I pulled the shift boot to look they don't look like they are puddling fluid. They were pretty stuck in when I did the clutch two years ago and I added more RTV to the lip of one of them after unsuccessfully trying to remove it with the trans out. Not sure how much would just be drip back from the switch here if that's the issue.

I have a new top cover seal on order and the doorman plugs to swap the plugs. I was going to try pulling the carpet back and swapping the plugs and seals from inside the truck, but it really looks like the neutral switch is leaking and maybe my issue. Did I just get a bad switch? Thanks.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure it's a tranny leak? What color is the fluid? My old 5 speed trans takes gear oil and I can smell it to determine what oil I am dealing with. You would be surprised how a oil leak up front at the engine will blow back and drip off the first thing it hits. Many differential yoke seals have been replaced only to find out it was really a engine oil leak and it was blowing back and hitting the front of the diff and dripping down from that.

Pyromancer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Are you sure it's a tranny leak? What color is the fluid? My old 5 speed trans takes gear oil and I can smell it to determine what oil I am dealing with. You would be surprised how a oil leak up front at the engine will blow back and drip off the first thing it hits. Many differential yoke seals have been replaced only to find out it was really a engine oil leak and it was blowing back and hitting the front of the diff and dripping down from that.
Not an oil leak. Red ATF, you can actually see it on the switch in the first image. Bell housing and the front of the Trans is dry.

I'm scratching my head on where it could be coming from other then that switch. The switch is in the top cover so top cover leak other than up the bolt holes would be bellow the switch. The plugs in the back of the trans are slightly lower than the switch and I don't spend a lot of time in reverse so should drip back and down the trans. (I have fluid there as well but switch leaking I think would do that as well.) Higher up near shift lever seems pretty dry as well, and don't think that would be a leak point unless the trans was overfilled.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
The gears should be flinging lube all over the inside of the trans (splash lubrication) so you could still (in theory) get a leak from well above the fill level. Just a thought.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Isn't that the back up lamp switch?

I know the shift rail plugs are known to leak.

I would give it a good cleaning and ensure it isn't running down from above.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

+1

No neutral start switch on a M5OD. I also question the shift rail plugs more than the switch itself.

I don't have a good picture of mine if there is an o-ring or what it would see for fluid.

Pyromancer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
+1

No neutral start switch on a M5OD. I also question the shift rail plugs more than the switch itself.

I don't have a good picture of mine if there is an o-ring or what it would see for fluid.
It's a 94, there is a reverse light switch on the drivers side and a neutral switch on the passenger side. Not mine but here is a good picture. The switch in question is the one with the two green wires. The reverse switch is on the opposite side with the red plug. https://www.ranger-forums.com/drivetrain-tech-37/what-strengths-weaknesses-various-transmission-options-161222/

Pyromancer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The gears should be flinging lube all over the inside of the trans (splash lubrication) so you could still (in theory) get a leak from well above the fill level. Just a thought.
Not really about above the fill level, the switch is already above the fill level. There's just not much higher up then that switch, other they the shift handle.

Pyromancer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

I think they only had them for a few years. Mine is a 94. Here is a diagram, switch in question is 70, the backup light switch is 72.
Also I found a photo of the trans from when I had it out a couple years back. Red switch is the backup, opposite side of the trans is the neutral safety switch

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Not really about above the fill level, the switch is already above the fill level. There's just not much higher up then that switch, other they the shift handle.
What I was trying to get at, is that fluid is being sloshed/flung all around the inside of the case, constantly, by the gears while the truck is moving. If there was even the teeniest hole in the top cover, fluid would get flung out of it.....

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
It must be a Mazda thing? I'm pretty certain my 94 doesn't have one.

So are you saying it won't start unless the trans is in Neutral? Or maybe it turns on a Neutral Indicator?

Does it have a clutch switch too?

Pyromancer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It must be a Mazda thing? I'm pretty certain my 94 doesn't have one.

So are you saying it won't start unless the trans is in Neutral? Or maybe it turns on a Neutral Indicator?

Does it have a clutch switch too?
Don't think I have a clutch switch (assume you mean pedal). I think it makes the truck not start unless I'm in neutral or clutch down. I never worried about it. Some rangers, explorers, and f150s had them from what I can tell. Tracking down a replacement switch was a bear.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It has nothing to do with starting. You have a clutch switch.

The switch in question was used to control the idle, specifically to help get a smoother idle when idling in gear. They used it for a few years, realized it did pretty much nothing, and deleted it for 95.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
That makes more sense to me... still don't think my 94 has one...

Pyromancer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It has nothing to do with starting. You have a clutch switch.

The switch in question was used to control the idle, specifically to help get a smoother idle when idling in gear. They used it for a few years, realized it did pretty much nothing, and deleted it for 95.
Thanks. Back to my questions, is there an O-ring or a gasket or something behind it that could be leaking? I know there is a rod but as far as I have been able to figure out the switch should seal the hole.

I plan on getting it in the garage tomorrow and pulling the carpet back to access the floor panel and get a better view. Have read some confusing things about if I can pull the trans top cover from inside the cab or not. Really hoping it is just the switch leaking or the three plugs if I can't pull the top cover from the cab. I don't really want to drop the trans again. I remember the exhaust being a PIA to get down and getting the trans back in a PIA even with the exhaust down.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals