• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Needing advice.

Cathy282010

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sorry i meant to say my truck is full like meaning the tank is full..

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Spray starter fluid in the intake and have someone crank it. Having gas in the tank isn't the entire battle ;)

Cathy282010

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Spray starter fluid in the intake and have someone crank it. Having gas in the tank isn't the entire battle ;)
Ok so deeper look into it. Turned out the wiring harness was jammed between the tansmission and housing i guess it called. Crimped it and broke some wires but put back together.. Still same thing... He took the intake off and spayed gas in it and nothing... But when he unplugged computer it kind of putt putt..

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For the fuel issue, try the fuel pump relay bypass (see the attached image). It basically turns the fuel pump relay on, taking control away from the computer. With the ignition on and the jumper in place, you should hear the fuel pump running and have fuel pressure at the fuel rail. If this doesn't work, check the inertia switch, located just behind the carpet on the passenger side firewall (close to the back of the glove compartment). When the fuel pump relay is energized it sends voltage to the inertia switch, and from the inertia switch to the fuel pump(s). The inertia switches can go bad, or they need the reset button on the top of the switch pushed down. With the fuel pump relay bypass installed, you should have voltage on both wires (orange and pink). If only the orange has voltage, the problem is the inertia switch.
Fuel pump relay bypass.jpg

For the spark issue, if all the parts you replaced are good (and the correct part) I would suspect the pickup coil inside the distributer. Hopefully it's not that, because you have to remove the distributer and take it apart in order to replace the pickup coil. Replacing the distributer is by far a better option.
If the ignition module you bought is black, it's probably the wrong module. Both the ignition module and the pickup coil will cause you to have no spark, and go out suddenly while you're driving. Installing a cheap quality ignition module is not a good idea. If not replacing it with an actual Ford ignition module, make sure you buy it from a parts store that has a good guarantee (some placers offer lifetime). I have heard that some auto parts stores can test ignition modules, but I've never tried. It would be nice to know if the ignition modules you have are good or not. If I knew the ignition module was good, I would definitely suspect the pickup coil.

The odds of both of these issues happening at the same time are not good. The ECM (the main computer behind the panel near where the passenger's left foot would be) controls the fuel pump relay, and to some degree the ignition. Is this the computer that you replaced? If so, make sure you got the correct ECM.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals