• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Your Expertise Concerning Computer Hard Drives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am currently using a computer that's running a xp professional operating system on a 373 gigabyte sata hard drive, with a pentium four 3 gigabyte CPU, and 2 gigabytes of RAM.

Being I have a lot of information on my old ide hard drive, which I would like to have access to, that was running on a windows 98 first edition operating system, that was in my old computer.

I was wondering if my old windows 98, first edition, operating system that's on my old computer's ide hard drive, will work for accessing information on it, when I need to, if it was installed as a slave hard drive, on my newer computer.

Would this old hard drive work has a slave, as mentioned, on my newer computer that has a xp professional operating system on a 373 gigabyte hard drive.

If it's possible to do this, as stated. Can someone please explain the procedures for doing it.

Last edited:

matt167

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1930's Inspired
Make / Model
Custom built
Engine Size
300 I6
Transmission
Manual
stick it into an IDE usb hard drive enclosure and plug it in.. you can find them on Ebay cheap

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
You will need to access the information on your old Windows 98 drive by connecting the drive as a slave drive to the new system.

The information will be there... but won't necissarily be easy to locate.

AD

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Btw, it's gigabyte.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Why not just use an external hard drive, take the information off of your 98, and keep it on external.
Also it's a good idea to save important information in multiple locations. Such as an external and your main HD on your computer. I have to as I would be screw losing all the homework and labs I've done at school. Plus my photos; irreplaceable.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You will need to access the information on your old Windows 98 drive by connecting the drive as a slave drive to the new system.

The information will be there... but won't necissarily be easy to locate.

AD
Now that my old ide hard drive is set to slave, which has the old windows 98, first edition, operating system on it.

I can't locate any of my messages in my old email outlook express that are on the old ide hard drive, which is now set to slave, on my newer computer.

Is there a way to boot up the old windows 98, first edition, operating system from the old ide hard drive that's, now, set to slave on my newer computer.

If there is a way to boot the old windows 98, first edition, operating system from the old ide hard drive, which is now a slave, to my desktop on my newer computer.

Then, it would be easy to find everything, again. If it's possible to do it that way, for using a old ide hard drive, set to slave, as mentioned, on a newer computer's xp proffesional operating system.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
im confused, you only set it to slave if there 2 harddrives on one IDE cable, if its one on cable, set it for master. as for running 98 on your new PC, the biggest problem is lack of drivers for the new hardware. it will boot, but with generic drivers wich means 16colors, no sound and no network. just boot up xp with the 98 drive as a secondary and search for the files through XP

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Get windows 7 already! 98! I own a 98 explorer but I wouldn't ever want to own a windows 98 operating system. Xp was better then vista but 7 is out. Do you need a free copy of 7 ultimate or something? Why do you still have 98?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
im confused, you only set it to slave if there 2 harddrives on one IDE cable, if its one on cable, set it for master. as for running 98 on your new PC, the biggest problem is lack of drivers for the new hardware. it will boot, but with generic drivers wich means 16colors, no sound and no network. just boot up xp with the 98 drive as a secondary and search for the files through XP
A person I know, who put my old ide hard drive into my newer computer. Said the cable going to my newer computer's sata master hard drive, didn't have the right connector to match the pins on my old ide hard drive to plug into the sata master hard drive's cable slave connector.

So, he set my old ide hard drive to slave, which has the old windows 98, first edition, operating system on it.

Then, he used the old ide hard drive's ribbon cable and connected it to the old ide hard drive, after he had set it to slave, and plugged into my newer computer's sata hard drive's mother board, is what he said.

So, from what you said. It sounds like, being he didn't plug the old ide hard drive into the newer computer's master sata hard drive's slave connection, which is on the same cable going to the sata master hard drive, for being able to connect another hard drive to it, as a slave hard drive.

It sounds like, as you mentioned, he should have left the old ide hard drive, set to a master, instead of changing it to work as a slave hard drive, being the old ide hard drive was plugged into the mother board, instead of the master hard drive's slave connector.

So, what do you recommend, now. That they, either, swith the old ide hard drive back to a master, being it's plugged into the mother board.

Or, is there an adapter that will match the pins on the old ide hard drive to match the pins on the master sata hard drive's slave cable connector, for installing the old ide hard drive, as a slave.

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If the old computer was still working I would have put them both (old and new) on a local network and transferred the information that way.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
A person I know, who put my old ide hard drive into my newer computer. Said the cable going to my newer computer's sata master hard drive, didn't have the right connector to match the pins on my old ide hard drive to plug into the sata master hard drive's cable slave connector.

So, he set my old ide hard drive to slave, which has the old windows 98, first edition, operating system on it.

Then, he used the old ide hard drive's ribbon cable and connected it to the old ide hard drive, after he had set it to slave, and plugged into my newer computer's sata hard drive's mother board, is what he said.

So, from what you said. It sounds like, being he didn't plug the old ide hard drive into the newer computer's master sata hard drive's slave connection, which is on the same cable going to the sata master hard drive, for being able to connect another hard drive to it, as a slave hard drive.

It sounds like, as you mentioned, he should have left the old ide hard drive, set to a master, instead of changing it to work as a slave hard drive, being the old ide hard drive was plugged into the mother board, instead of the master hard drive's slave connector.

So, what do you recommend, now. That they, either, swith the old ide hard drive back to a master, being it's plugged into the mother board.

Or, is there an adapter that will match the pins on the old ide hard drive to match the pins on the master sata hard drive's slave cable connector, for installing the old ide hard drive, as a slave.
Your computer tech is either an idiot or a liar.

Your "system Drive" which is SATA isn't a Master/Slave situation as the term only appies to IDE drives

IF your computer has an IDE connector on the motherboard you'd only be connecting your old drive as a "slave" drive if you were connecting it to an existing cable which would probably be used for your CD/DVD drive.

Of course if you have an even newer computer even the optical (CD/DVD)
drive is a SATA type drive....

AD

alexpmcmurphy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Now that my old ide hard drive is set to slave, which has the old windows 98, first edition, operating system on it.

I can't locate any of my messages in my old email outlook express that are on the old ide hard drive, which is now set to slave, on my newer computer.

Is there a way to boot up the old windows 98, first edition, operating system from the old ide hard drive that's, now, set to slave on my newer computer.

If there is a way to boot the old windows 98, first edition, operating system from the old ide hard drive, which is now a slave, to my desktop on my newer computer.

Then, it would be easy to find everything, again. If it's possible to do it that way, for using a old ide hard drive, set to slave, as mentioned, on a newer computer's xp proffesional operating system.
if all your doing is trying to retrieve your old emails, outlook doesnt store each email as an individual file, they are all stored in a file with a .pst extention, just search the d: (slave/secondary hd right?) for *.pst and open that file from inside of outlook by going to file -> open -> outlook data file -> then browse to the file that you found

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
ok, here is how to hook up your old harddrive, ignore your 373gig boot drive, its sata type drive, not the same as ide, it should be left as it was. take your ide drive set it to master, plug in the ribbon cable from the drive to the motherboard, if your motherboard doesn't have an ide connector, you will have to get an ide to USB adapter or an IDE pci card. did you say your harddrive is only a gigabyte? if so, instead of spending money on an adapter, go find a buddy with an older system and ask if you can hook your drive up and copy everything on a flash drive/DVD. tobad you dont live in Arkansas, it would only take a few minutes for me to copy over your data. good luck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok, here is how to hook up your old harddrive, ignore your 373gig boot drive, its sata type drive, not the same as ide, it should be left as it was. take your ide drive set it to master, plug in the ribbon cable from the drive to the motherboard, if your motherboard doesn't have an ide connector, you will have to get an ide to USB adapter or an IDE pci card. did you say your harddrive is only a gigabyte? if so, instead of spending money on an adapter, go find a buddy with an older system and ask if you can hook your drive up and copy everything on a flash drive/DVD. tobad you dont live in Arkansas, it would only take a few minutes for me to copy over your data. good luck
The person who put my old computer's Ide 4.3 gegabyte hard drive, with a first edition windows 98 operating system on it, into my newer computer that's running a xp professional operating system on a 373 gigabyte sata hard drive, with a pentium four 3 gigabyte CPU, and 2 gigabytes of RAM.

This person installed the old 4.3 gegabyte Ide hard drive to the newer computer's Sata motherboard, using the Ide's original hard drive ribbon cable, as you mentioned doing..

Except, they set the Ide hard drive to slave, instead of master, as you said said to do..

So, if the Ide hard drive is re set to master, instead of slave, as it is now..

Will I be able to boot up my 4.3 gegabyte Ide hard drive, with a first edition windows 98 operating system on it, whenever I want to access information from it, being it's installed on my newer computer which is running a xp professional operating system on a 373 gigabyte sata hard drive, with a pentium four 3 gigabyte CPU, and 2 gigabytes of RAM..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals