• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need turbo advice...

4bangeranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
well i started to install my turbo on my ranger. untill i realised how much stuff is involved.between drilling oil returns, injectors, sensors, custom piping, fule pressure regulator. should i just stop where i am now and get a turbo t bird and swap.. i mean i can only go safe with 7lbs max on the ranger motor any way. i already have a turbo and manifold, injectors, fule pump, waistgate, blow off valve ( still missing alot of parts) just to add the turbo to the stock motor...a little advice guys should i stay with it or find a swapppp.

thanks guys

4bangeranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
more ????

do i need to change my injectors for just 7 psi because i cant find a fule pressure regulator any where. can i change my injectors to 36 lbs per hour and keep stock fule pump and regulator. if not can i install any inline regulater and just block off the one on my fule rail...

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Change the injectors or you run the risk of leaning out the a/f ratio and burning a piston. As for the fuel pump I'd recommend getting a 190 lph Walbro. It will fit into your current in tank fuel sending unit without modification of any kind. Get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and you should be golden.

ttfiveohranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8 Twin Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Where are you located? I just acquired a running 88 Tbird.. actually might need a manifold and maybe a turbo which you have.. 104k miles.. It would make a great parts car for you? Interested? I would have to give it a tune up to make it drivable/reliable for a very long drive?

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The factory turbo engine has besides all the other fun stuff forged pistons.

many people have run upwards of 20psi into them on the stock turbo injectors and management.

a stock 2.3T with only slight tweeks can make 250hp and 340ft/lb

when 250hp and 340ft/lb of torque isn't enough in a ranger you need
a straight jacket and a padded room.

AD

ttfiveohranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8 Twin Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well then... lock me up my ranger has a twin turbo 302 in it.. 500rwhp If I so choose to try and break my drivetrain :):icon_twisted::3gears:

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
when 250hp and 340ft/lb of torque isn't enough in a ranger you need
a straight jacket and a padded room.
I haven't been able to find an apartment with a padded room for decent price yet.

4bangeranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
alright here is whats going on

soo i decided to just do it right the first time... i pulled my motor and am buying a stage 3 piston kit good for 35 psi with h beam rods. my head is in the shop now geting big valves instaled and a 508 lift cam. i junked my old turbo and looking for a bigger one now. but i have some questions on this as well. first off is the ext manifold the same as the t bird on this head?? has any one hooked up a safc to a ranger ecu? can i get a bold on fule pressure regulator or do i have to install a inline. im going for 25-30 psi what injectors do i need now. do i need arp head bolts. metal head gasket?? a need as much feedback as i can get guys... thanks

4bangeranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
oh ya i need to be locked up in that room tooo i use to have a s-10 with a 383 465 horse to the wheels till i smoked that motor up haha

damn chevys

ttfiveohranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8 Twin Turbo
Transmission
Manual
With an upgraded head and 30 psi.. you are going to need some large injectors.. Reducing the restrictions to flow and increasing the boost that much.. 500-600hp+? for that range I would get atleast 80-90lb range injectors. At that psi and hp range I think ARP head studs would be a wise investment, but I would research what other have done with it. So look for people with a upgraded head and lots of boost either here,

www.turbomustangs.com (they have some 4cyl stuff there.) good info
http://www.turboford.net/index.shtml (They are currently updating the site10-27-08 9:45 pm)
http://rangersrevenge.com/cgi/index.php turbo ranger forums good info!
http://www.rangersrevenge.com/ 400rwhp+ ranger they used ARP head and main studs/ 30 psi or so on there ranger

ttfiveohranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8 Twin Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I like that site

I registered on there and it didn't go through for some reason.. I've read a lot off of that site tho. Might try registering again.

4bangeranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok what pistons and rods

i can only find one kit with rods and pistons this is it http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stage-2-Ford-2-3-SVO-T-Bird-XR4Ti-Turbo-Pistons-Rods_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ180179075975 is it an ok set or should i get a diffrent brand i built alot of v8 cars and i have never hurd of this brand. thanks for alll the links toooo gives me some time to kill at work:) haha

also there is some kind of oil vacume thing coming off my block next to where the distribitor would go do they make a plug or something for that???

ttfiveohranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8 Twin Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I would not buy pistons and rods off ebay from a brand you haven't heard of. Pretty sure scat, eagle, and others make forged parts for the 2.3.. search www.turboford.net and other sites. Don't buy something that important from a brand you haven't heard of off ebay IMHO!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals