• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Need to replace my 1992 Ranger engine: 2.3 L, 4 cylinder, 5-speed, floor shifter

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Was the belt guide washer put back on, its a larger keyed washer that holds the belt onto the crank gear so it doesn't "walk off", its not that thick but is a spacer for the hub assembly

The hub assembly has the vane on the back side, it passes thru the crank sensor slots, as it rotates
So hub assembly needs to be spaced so vane can travel thru the slots, not too close and not to far away

The 1989-1994 spark system was self contained as far as startup and idling

Crank sensor========ICM===========coil packs

The engine computer did "advise" the ICM on spark advance, but ICM system didn't "need" that for start up and idle
Computer has engine temp and engine load info, so it serves same purpose as "vacuum advance" did on older systems, i.e. not needed for start up but is needed for driving

The 1989-1994 also used a spark inhibitor for driver side coil pack and spark plugs on start up
The drivers side(intake side) will have NO SPARK when cranking engine over
Only passenger side(exhaust side) spark plugs will have spark when cranking

At 400rpms and higher(engine started) drivers side coil pack will start to work

Serfma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Was the belt guide washer put back on, its a larger keyed washer that holds the belt onto the crank gear so it doesn't "walk off", its not that thick but is a spacer for the hub assembly

The hub assembly has the vane on the back side, it passes thru the crank sensor slots, as it rotates
So hub assembly needs to be spaced so vane can travel thru the slots, not too close and not to far away

The 1989-1994 spark system was self contained as far as startup and idling

Crank sensor========ICM===========coil packs

The engine computer did "advise" the ICM on spark advance, but ICM system didn't "need" that for start up and idle
Computer has engine temp and engine load info, so it serves same purpose as "vacuum advance" did on older systems, i.e. not needed for start up but is needed for driving

The 1989-1994 also used a spark inhibitor for driver side coil pack and spark plugs on start up
The drivers side(intake side) will have NO SPARK when cranking engine over
Only passenger side(exhaust side) spark plugs will have spark when cranking

At 400rpms and higher(engine started) drivers side coil pack will start to work
I think the belt guide washer is indeed on, I'll have to check later.

Ok so I'll have to run wires from that sensor to the ECU, shouldn't be that big of an issue then.

Thank you for all the info.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Crank sensor wires go to the ICM, on the front of lower intake, the ECU(engine computer) is not involved with spark in 1989-1994, except "Load advance"

Serfma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Crank sensor wires go to the ICM, on the front of lower intake, the ECU(engine computer) is not involved with spark in 1989-1994, except "Load advance"
Last dumb question - crank pulley has no sort of rubber it seems like. Seems to be metal only, do these not have rubber harmonic balancers / crank pulleys

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Some don't need an energy absorber, like the "rubber" part, bolt on pulley can serve the same purpose, it would be engine model specific

Serfma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Some don't need an energy absorber, like the "rubber" part, bolt on pulley can serve the same purpose, it would be engine model specific
Thanks. Yeah since this is a later 2.3L Lima swapped into old and they re used old Lima hub and crank pulley I was worried might destroy engine running it that way (if it was supposed to use rubber harmonic)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I4 engines often don't have those types of harmonic balancers, I6 and I8 do, longer cranks
V6 and V8s often do

Serfma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I4 engines often don't have those types of harmonic balancers, I6 and I8 do, longer cranks
V6 and V8s often do
Could I pick your brain in another thread rather than taking this one over?

Replaced ICM + CPS, getting 2V on top ICM connector power wire, with ignition on when plugging up ICM. Everything else unplugged (note: the wiring in this truck is a rats nest and I might replace entire harness) that's connected to this line. If I remove top ICM connector from ICM I will have battery power. Tried two different ICMs to verify. Only thing I see on diagrams is EEC Power Relay and the EEC itself. Bad computer? Bad ground?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could I pick your brain in another thread rather than taking this one over?

Replaced ICM + CPS, getting 2V on top ICM connector power wire, with ignition on when plugging up ICM. Everything else unplugged (note: the wiring in this truck is a rats nest and I might replace entire harness) that's connected to this line. If I remove top ICM connector from ICM I will have battery power. Tried two different ICMs to verify. Only thing I see on diagrams is EEC Power Relay and the EEC itself. Bad computer? Bad ground?

We can continue in your original post here: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/should-i-toss-this-ranger.192458/

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals