• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need some wisdom

K.Strong

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
First of all I'm not sure if this should be in the tire section or not, but I need some help with a situation I'm in.

Basically this is it, Three weeks from tomorrow I'm driving from one side of Canada to almost the other. I'm moving from Nova Scotia out to Calgary, which is a 5000km drive (3100miles for the Americans). I'm obviously driving the truck there but I am concerned with me arriving there alive with the tires that I have on the truck. I still have the stock whatever POS tire they put on the truck, I just did a tire rotation so now my back tires actually have some tread on them while the fronts are very worn down :)3gears:) Now this isn't my biggest concern, I'm slightly worried about the bulges on a few of my tires...Yes the sidewalls on the back two I believe have 1-2 bulges in them..Basically would one drive that many kms on tires like that?

The second issue: It's almost Winter time, from my understanding Calgary should be seeing snow very soon? I don't really want another Winter on these tires, well, because they suck! I've been wanting to go with the Goodyear Duratracs. I've done my research on them and from what I can tell they simply rock. Now, since I'm moving out West I can not afford to pay cash for said tires before I leave. But once I get out there I well be very tight for cash for the first few months. Now the solution I have found is Canadian Tire is offering no interest or payments or fees for one year on tires over $200....Now in the past I've had bad luck doing this as I'm not the worlds best with money, but I am getting better.

So basically if you were in my situation what would be the best road for me?

I'll get some pictures of how bad the tires are after dinner.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
you havent said one good thing about your tires. go on kijiji on the areas your driving through and see if you can find some tires for cheap you can get along the way. your also gona need an oil change half way through your trip, and about 900 dollars in gas. you know you can ship your truck for around 600 across the country.

if you can average 25 mpg, your looking at over $800 for gas alone.

LHP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Tires with bulges are not cool.

Kijiji is a great spot for cheap used tires. There are several used tire shops in pretty much every town. I would call them up and tell them your situation. It is possible that them might have a "deal of the day" just for you.

K.Strong

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
All the numbers I came up with were different. I figured on about $600ish for gas..I can get a little over 600kms per tank on the highway.. Who ships for 600? When me and my buddy looked into it when he moved out there it was gonna cost between $1200-1500 for his Corolla. But if I could get it shipped for 600 that would be very much an option.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Before you spend money on tyres you should find out if Alberta has a winter tyre law (like the Quebec one). Don't want to spend money on tyres and then find out you need to buy another set just so you can drive in the winter. Tyres with bulges are not a good thing. I gave away a set of almost new tyres mounted on mags three days ago. I'm not trying to piss you off I just mention it because I'm sure I'm not the only one with a set of tyres just sitting around that they don't know what to do with. You'll be passing close to quite a few members, perhaps one of them knows someone who has a set laying around.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
theres no law like that in Alberta. I moved from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. DO NOT DRIVE HERE WITH THOSE TIRES. Go on kijiji or the wrecker even and get some tires that dont have bulges. It is a LONG AS$ drive from there to here, do not risk it.

And FYI you will NOT get your truck shipped out here for less than 1100$ or so.

Just an idea as well...is your full size spare still new? thats one good tire.....

Find a cheap solution while youre home (where in NS are you? ) and then save up for the duratracs or whatever tire when you get out here.

Cheers,

Nate

K.Strong

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
theres no law like that in Alberta. I moved from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. DO NOT DRIVE HERE WITH THOSE TIRES. Go on kijiji or the wrecker even and get some tires that dont have bulges. It is a LONG AS$ drive from there to here, do not risk it.

And FYI you will NOT get your truck shipped out here for less than 1100$ or so.

Just an idea as well...is your full size spare still new? thats one good tire.....

Find a cheap solution while youre home (where in NS are you? ) and then save up for the duratracs or whatever tire when you get out here.

Cheers,

Nate
I'm from Port Williams (Kentville area) I know a few people from the Yarmouth area actually.

I think I'll check out some junkyards and see what they have for tires that well get me out there, then get the big tires there where I don't have to pay a crazy 15% tax on them like NS.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
YOu can always craigslist tires as well, sometimes you can find some pretty decent tires for over half off. If anything they would get you accross the country more then likely.

LHP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thats a good start dude.

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
Not sure what Duratracs look like, but personally I prefer an aggressive all-terrain type tread pattern, that's what I look for when I buy tires (bigger voids between tread blocks than a BFG AT tire), they seem to do well under any conditions.

If money is tight I'd try to find a decent set of used tires and look into buying a set of chains - they can make even bad tires good in bad winter conditions. Down side is they limit your speed and will rattle your teeth out on a dry road, but they're relatively cheap and a proven source of traction. I keep a set in my truck all winter long. I ran some V-bar chains on my 2wd Ranger and wrapped them over a set of mud tires one winter (V-bars are recommended only for off-road use now, lol). I took it through snow that was as high as the hood a number of times, it was like driving a tank.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Not sure what Duratracs look like, but personally I prefer an aggressive all-terrain type tread pattern, that's what I look for when I buy tires (bigger voids between tread blocks than a BFG AT tire), they seem to do well under any conditions..
Thats pretty much exactly what the Duratrac is. An A/T with more siping and bigger voids then a BFG A/T.

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
i wouldn't take them out here. and no its not going to snow for at least another month. its supposed to hit a high of 35 by Saturday.

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
Thats pretty much exactly what the Duratrac is. An A/T with more siping and bigger voids then a BFG A/T.

That doesn't look too bad.

Right now I'm running some Nexen Roadian ATII tires on my F-150, but I don't think I'd want them in anything smaller than the 31" tires I'm running on it - the voids get too small for my liking. It did great last winter on 'em, we'll see how this winter goes though (there is a plan to have a plow hanging on the front this winter).

K.Strong

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
Looks like I'm going with the Duratrac before I sail ship...Sold my TV and home theater system to a friend to pay for the tires.

I did learn that instead of the usual salt in the winter you guys use rocks :icon_surprised: The girl at the insurance told me to be prepared to buy a few windshields over the winter.

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Looks like I'm going with the Duratrac before I sail ship...Sold my TV and home theater system to a friend to pay for the tires.

I did learn that instead of the usual salt in the winter you guys use rocks :icon_surprised: The girl at the insurance told me to be prepared to buy a few windshields over the winter.
a few is a little extreme. but I would rather have rocks then salt. i would say 1 every 2 years seems to be a good number. my car had it done last winter and my truck is due now. but my parents van made it 5 years before it got hit bad enough to crack.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals