• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need some swap advice

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
I've been wanting more power and rumble from my truck so I'm thinking 302 swap. My issue is I have a really reliable 3.0 l and I don't know how reliable a swap would be. My truck has original engine and trans at 166,000 miles, and no issues I'm afraid if I go through and do it then I might end up in the garage every weekend fixing something. How reliable are your 302 rangers?

Dan B.

January 2012 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You going EFI or carbed?

Where in PA?

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
EFI most likely, my brothers had problems with carbed engines. Near Philly

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
If you use an EFI 5.0 HO, you will be just a reliable as stock, and get much better mileage. I'll assume an Explorer 5.0 would have similar mileage and power.

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
Alright sounds good, I'm looking forward to doing it. How much of a fuel mileage increase is average? I always thought a 302 would bring it down. Right now I'm riding about 16 mpg.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright sounds good, I'm looking forward to doing it. How much of a fuel mileage increase is average? I always thought a 302 would bring it down. Right now I'm riding about 16 mpg.
It really depends on how the truck is set up and how it is driven.

Lowered 2wd trucks get 20-25mpg, a jacked up 4x4 driven like a racecar will be very different.

My lifted brick with a carburated 302 gets about 10hwy, I blame a lot of that on the 3spd transmission. It can't help churning 2700 rpm down the highway...

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
When my engine was stock (5.0 HO, EFI, T5 trans, 1997 Supercab, big fat tires) it would get 25mpg. That's Imperial gallons... so 21mpg for you ;)

For reference, my 2001 3.0 automatic Supercab that I drive for the Winter is currently getting 11mpg in mixed driving. My 4.6 Mustang gets over 35mpg highway.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Cheap, fast and reliable...pick two of three and that will sum it up pretty well. Being you are most likely in the OBDII part of Pa to remain legal without exemptions you will need EFI. If you start with a good running donor and swap all of it over there should be little issue. There isnt' a thing wrong with a carb as long as it's the correct size and tuned. Either way of fueling is reliable. There are many reliable V8 swaps running around so it can be done, but you also need to expect some bumps in the road being it is not a factory offered drivetrain. Start with good stuff and you'll have less issues.

Matt

Dan B.

January 2012 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Right now I'm riding about 16 mpg.
I'm getting that from a 2wd running a stout 351W w/ 10.7:1 CR and C4/3.55's/28" tire. It's even running a bit rich. So if I lean it out a bit the mpg should come up a hair. If I lean on her at alll though....that number will drop....quick!

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
wow that sounds promising. I think I'll do the swap in Spring when it warms up. I can start stockpiling parts and all. I gotta explore headers and the whole exhaust though, I want some rumble :headbang: It's gonna be a long and educational process.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
EFI is very reliable.

Here is a brief cut & paste from my welcome thread. 93 Splash, 210,000 V8 miles, 23 MPG.

Back in 1997 EFI V8 Ranger swaps were still a little new and build information was a bit more difficult to come by. The internet was just starting to catch on and many of the Ranger forums had yet to be conceived. Things have come a long way over the past 13 years. Now much of the necessary technical info is a few short key strokes away.

The first project was intended to be used as a courier vehicle in and around the Tampa Bay area of Florida. At the time of the conversion the 93 Splash already had 185,000 light duty courier miles. I collected new parts from around the country to include a World Class T-5, Ford Motorsports 5.0 crate motor, new EFI harness, 8.8 rear end with 3:55 gears, etc. At the time I was a bit concerned as Florida still had emission testing. But with a few reservations the project moved forward and the final product was perfect for the role it was designed for. The 5.0 93 Splash rolled through the Tampa Bay area every day for another four years before it was pulled from service. Total distance driven at that time was 395,000 miles, 210,000 miles being after the V8 swap. Some of you from around the area may remember the little V8 ranger with the 1965 Shelby GT350 paint scheme. For those of you who may never have seen it in person you may have seen the photo of my shifter set back used in the Harwood Manual.

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
JBrown, that's real sweet clean looking truck! It is nice having so much information just clicks away. I'll definitely be back if I need some info. How long did your swap take from start to finish?

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
JBrown, that's real sweet clean looking truck! It is nice having so much information just clicks away. I'll definitely be back if I need some info. How long did your swap take from start to finish?

I am currently wokring on a "slow progress" 98 Ranger swap (see link below). The 93 Splash took 60 days back in 1997. That was slowed down because UPS went on strike the day I dropped the truck off at Idle Wild Racing for the swap. I couldn't get parts shipped in to save my life.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=836026#post836026

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
that build is coming along nice, I was planning on getting the heads rebuilt. How much that did that set you back?

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
that build is coming along nice, I was planning on getting the heads rebuilt. How much that did that set you back?
The heads, upper intake, and lower intake ran about $600.00 plus parts. I know, it is a lot of money for iron heads. But for the intended purpose of this truck (high mileage courier work) aluminum heads were not the best choice. Most of the money went into the port work. The assembly and other machine work was pretty affordable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals