• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Some Help!!!!

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
okay, I've got a line on a major deal. One of the jeep guys I know is selling is his wife's 97 Explorer. Here's the ad C & P'ed from the other board.

"Selling my wifes explorer shes got a new car on the way (08 HHR) so it's gotta go

The ford has 220,000 km on it and it runs like a top. light body damage to the right rear fender and the bumper's tweaked. It need's a rad. The truck is certifiable but being sold as is. Its got decent tires, brakes etc. New heads 6 months ago ive invested a small fortune into it but I want something newer for my wife. Our loss is your gain.

Pic's will be posted tomorrow.

$500.00 firm."

He says: "needs a rad and and the gauge cluster is grossly inacurate, and I removed the shrouds to take out the aftermarket security system and have been far too lazy to put them back in (column)"

Well hell, I've got an Explorer 4.0 rad in my BII now. I figure if I go look at it (and sell the wife on it!), and it's got no/minimal rust, for $500, that's a decent winter driver (not looking forward to the winter in my focus again) and decent budget wheeler.

Now, I know the IFS isn't know for being an ironclad, flex monster front end. At most, i'd put stock sized or close (31's) on it and call it good till spring (well, maybe put my offroad lights on it, and my CB and stuff, but nothing major)

My question is, most of my knowledge pertains to 83-97 rangers, 91-94 Expo's, and 84-90 BII's. I'll admit, I know next to nothing about the newer expo's, besides it'll have the "awesometacular" disc 31 spline 8.8, IFS Dana 35, and probably 4.0? It's got an auto and e-case (ugh). I could live with the auto, plus it would be easier if the wife wants to drive (or wheel!), another selling point. What should I look for? Anything in particular?

I could see a D44 SAS on this in the future, or something, but it would be mostly left alone till spring (tires and add-ons...)

Can the e-case be swapped for a manual shift case? What are the limits of the IFS 35? Do you think the rear 1/4 would be hard to fix? (IMO, I don't think it would be, atleast not any harder than my BII's rotted out ones anyway)

I figure, IF it's in good shape, and I can "convince" certain people on it, I could sell my current drum 8.8 to one of the jeepers, part some good stuff out of my BII, and scrap the rest, and I might come close to equaling out. (I can sell the 8.8 for atleast $100)

Thoughts? advice? HELP?!?!

:woot:

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
oh, yea. The pics I was going to post in the big open space.

:icon_cheers:

smokey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
500 buy it worth that in parts alone

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
steering column damage? deal too good to be true? make sure its not stolen. seriously.

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
steering column damage? deal too good to be true? make sure its not stolen. seriously.
it's not damaged, it's just had the plastic cover taken off. It had some sort of aftermarket alarm/remote start system he took back off of it.

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I guess it's got "AWD-4 High-4 Low" on the switch, it's a got small leak on/in the rad, and the speedo is off by around 20 kph. I'm trying to find out more still.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
it's not damaged, it's just had the plastic cover taken off. It had some sort of aftermarket alarm/remote start system he took back off of it.
Have you SEEN the plastic cover?

This thing smells like a stolen truck to me as well.

Or else it's broken 50 ways from tomorrow. A whole bunch of simple things not done doesn't exactly point to careful work. I'd take a VERY good look at it.

351ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 ranger 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
I'm sure its not stolen. The ignition is still in it and nothing looks broken, so the cover is off, big deal. It's a ten year old vehicle that has a lot of problems and the guy wants to off it, whats so surprising about that. I would find out all the problems before you get it. A lot of little shit can add up to a lot of money! Worth the money in parts if nothing else. Go for it dude.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Something isn't right, it should still be worth more than that even if it was a wreck (totalled) A $200 radiator shouldn't reduce the value that much.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
check with the police on the stolen question.does the seller have the title?if it's good to go,go for it.you can always part it out or fix it/sell it.down here i could sell it quick,for good profit.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Also it should be noted that the radiator you have in your bronco2 will NOT fit a 1997.

'95 up explorers take a completely different, much larger radiator.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals